Nitrate is too high - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nitrate is too high

Hello,
I just did a water change and tested my water parameters and my nitrates seem too high. My parameters are:
Ph- 6.1
Ammonia-0ppm
Nitrite-0pm
Nitrate-40ppm
Gh-2 drops
Kh-8 drops
I have a planted tank with pressurized co2 and use PPS Pro Ferts. I’m not positive on this but the nitrate seems like that is too much to have. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
are you using the API nitrate test kit? it can read a lil high some times.

also check your city's water quality report (assuming you use tap water for water changes)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
I'd be more concerned with the GH & KH readings you provided.

Growing is not that difficult.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

What’s wrong with the gh and kh? Yea I use the api test kit. Just checked the tap water that I use. It’s between 0-5ppm
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Gh-2 drops
Kh-8 drops

Growing is not that difficult.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yea so gh will be at 35.8 ppm and kh 143.2 ppm. Is that bad? I read that those are good for Bolivian rams
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayinblitzed View Post
Kh is 3 drops and go is around 7 drops.
Quote:
Gh-2 drops
Kh-8 drops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
I'd be more concerned with the GH & KH readings you provided.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 04:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
How am I dosing 2-3 weeks of ferts?? I do scrape out the algae. I really didnít think it was that much algae but I guess Iím wrong. I change roughly 50 percent of the water every week. I dose both bottles each day. Bottle one I do 10 ml of solution and bottle 2 Iíve been doing 20 drops. I just tested my gh and kh and the gh is 179 ppm and kh is 107.4 ppm. I trim most of my stem plans every week. Basically whenever they hit the top of the water I trim them and replant them.
Hi
You have posted already several sets of drops GH, drops KH, ppm GH, ppm KH and vice versa, tap or aquarium. It is difficult to follow.

In this hobby, we use degrees of General Hardness dGH, and degrees of Carbonate Hardness dKH.

How do I convert between GH ppm as CaCO3 and dGH?
dGH = GH ppm / 17.86
GH ppm = 17.86 x dGH

How do I convert between KH ppm as CaCO3 and dKH?
dKH = KH ppm / 17.86
KH ppm = 17.86 x dKH

(https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...ts-and-testing)

Lighting adjustments we discussed already here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/23...e-algae-s.html

Your aquarium NO3 is at 40 ppm. Your daily dose of 10 ml / 50 gallon adds 2 ppm NO3 a day. If there was no plant uptake, and with 50 % weekly water changes, then the maximum accumulation would be 28 ppm NO3. Therefore the tested 40 ppm NO3 is something between test kit inaccuracy and fish waste accumulation. Your plants are NO3 saturated, they donít need more. I would, at this point make other Solution #1 macros without KNO3 and continue dosing it as before, until the NO3 drops down to 10 to 15 ppm. The Solution #2 micros dose is ok.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Edward there is no reason to be a dick about it. I have different questions posted looking for different answers regarding the specific question. I am sorry I posted in two different terms that literally mean the same exact thing. I’m sorry I don’t have your years and years of experience as you’re probably 60-70 years old and know everything about the aquarium already. However this is my first planted tank I’ve ever done in my life. One question related to nitrates and got derailed due to other factors. The other question was in regards to algae, hoping someone could tell me what types they were so I can figure out how to tackle the situation. I’m glad you’re perfect in everything you do but I am not. I don’t know everything and am trying to learn about it
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Edward there is no reason to be a dick about it...
I must have missed a post.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 06:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Edward there is no reason to be a dick about it. I have different questions posted looking for different answers regarding the specific question. I am sorry I posted in two different terms that literally mean the same exact thing. Iím sorry I donít have your years and years of experience as youíre probably 60-70 years old and know everything about the aquarium already. However this is my first planted tank Iíve ever done in my life. One question related to nitrates and got derailed due to other factors. The other question was in regards to algae, hoping someone could tell me what types they were so I can figure out how to tackle the situation. Iím glad youíre perfect in everything you do but I am not. I donít know everything and am trying to learn about it
I believe you may have misconstrued what Edward was trying to teach you. You are right that he has a lot of experience, and he created one of the more popular fertilizer dosing methods in the hobby - PPS-Pro.

No need to throw out insults at people trying to help you. Take the opportunity to learn from someone who has the experience you state you are lacking.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 06:40 AM
Algae Grower

There's no reason to be dosing nitrates for the plants if your nitrate levels are that high, your plants have more than enough nitrate.

NaturalAquarist.com

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode