Help diy root tabs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help diy root tabs

I was looking to start making my own root tabs and I was wondering what type of clear little capsels do I need to get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 07:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Well, first thing I'd like to say is don't do it. Water column fertilizing is all you need, plus, once you add those root tabs, you're stuck with that setup for a few months because you don't want to disturb them.
So that being said, https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Gel-Capsu...Bcapsules&th=1

That's what you're looking for. "00" gelatin caps. Fill them with Osmocote+ or something similar.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@mgeorges even if you are about to use BDBS but want a nice carpet of MC? I thought some ferts in the substrate was the way to go? I was thinking of doing the DIY taps to start off with then see as needed?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There isnít a single tank I own without exposed fertilizer granules from uprooting DIY tabs, I would say itís safe to move about, remove exposed ones if you can I guess.

That said, MC doesnít need root tabs, water column is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 06:52 PM
Planted Member

00 gel tabs are great. On another note, you will probably have better results with NutriCote over Osmocote plus. Both have minor element packages, but the NutriCote CR fertilizer has a superior coating. You can even get it up to 9 moths of continuous fertilization.

It is labeled as a suitable rice fertilizer in other countries. As a matter of fact, it was designed for submerged applications.

Source- Father is a certified crop adviser, horticulturist, and ag supplies/fertilizer rep with 30+ years experience.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by underH20garden View Post
@mgeorges even if you are about to use BDBS but want a nice carpet of MC? I thought some ferts in the substrate was the way to go? I was thinking of doing the DIY taps to start off with then see as needed?
I think you'll find that your rooted plants will develop a carpet of roots that is so dense that it acts almost as one mat. Once you see that, it becomes pretty clear that feeding roots on root feeders is a good idea. For that matter, roots will often wrap around a CR fertilizer.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 09:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by underH20garden View Post
I grow HC in pool filter sand and in Eco-Complete with strictly water column fertilization. I've used root tabs, I find them to be totally unnecessary. I saw no benefits when using them vs. not using them. Also, as you uproot Osmocote+ pellets, if you have shrimp, those fertilizer pellets will begin leaching copper into your water. Not a good deal.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 12:20 PM
Algae Grower

did anyone mix clay + nutrients with cement or plaster of paris(Gypsum) to make diy root tabs.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode