Help learning to dose dry ferts - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Whysoserious

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help learning to dose dry ferts

So I just received my order from NilocG, I have KH2PO4, K2SO4, KNO3, and Metricide (that I bought off Amazon lol) as well Seachem Trace.

I've got a 55 gallon, new and only half stocked right now.
Plants are 2 Amazon swords, 2 Java ferns, some Wisteria, some Water Sprite, and microsword.
I have sand substrate but use osmocote plus root tabs for the root feeders.
I have two T8 daylight 15 watt lights on a schedule of 4hrs on, 4hrs off, 5hrs on.
No injected CO2.

I'm really just looking for a dosing schedule and amount so I know I'm doing it right haha

I read NilocG's dosing schedule but I'd rather avoid a weekly 50% water change if possible, that's a lot of water lol.

Also, I'm using heat treatment and 25% water changes every other day for ich right now. Would it be a waste to dose ferts while I'm doing water changes every other day?

Thanks for the help!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 08:47 PM
Algae Grower

Use an accumulation calculator to determine how much ppm you need to dose to reach the desired concentration.
Then use a nutrient calculator to determine how much of each of the salts you need to dose.

If you don't add ferts when doing the regular water changes, then the concentration of the ferts will drop rapidly.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 12:21 AM
Algae Grower

With co2 and moderate lighting on my 55g i was dosing KNO3 1/8tsp KH2PO4 1/16 tsp K2SO4 >1/16tsp 3 times a week and CSM+B 1/16 x2/week. I would start those amount once a week and see how it does. dosing calculators assume a lot of things to make it so standard.

Dont feel the need to dose too much. youre running pretty low lighting. You could get away with weekly dosing and your regular water change schedule. most people run EI dosing with dry ferts (maybe) and that calls for weekly 50% wc, so if you dose less frequently and less amaount, then the large wc is not necessary. but follow what your tank says! the worse thing thats going to happen with too much dosing is a bit of algae. If you mean half stocked as in plants then cut the dosing even more.

A large plant load and large water changes are your best friend with low tech tanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode