New to DIY ferts, just a question or two. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to DIY ferts, just a question or two.

Hi all, and thanks for any replys.
My 360l tank has been up and running for around 4+ weeks now. I have too much growth from some plants. Removed the val is had as it was sending runners left right and centre.
Also deciding if I should rip out two of my pond swords as they have breached the water level.

3 weeks ago i had abit of a hair algae bloom and i was not using ferts, as i read somewhere i did not need to for a few weeks as the ada soil would do the job.

Seen algae decided to add ferts to help balance light/co2/fert.
Hair algae is pretty much gone.
With out knowing too much about ferts i decided to buy some Ada liquid ferts. Solved the balance problem I believe. But $70 for 3 x 300ml bottles... (rip off... and it only lasted 3 weeks.

Got some dry ferts from a good aquarium shop. Started dosing with that tonight.
Im using kno3, kh2p04, mgs04.7h20 and k2so4.
My question is, these are all macros expect the magnesium right.
What other trace elements or micros should i look at dosing.

Thanks again for any help.
Cheers
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 01:28 PM
Algae Grower

Hello. Yes, KNO3, KH2PO4 and K2SO4 will provide macros (NO3, PO4 and K).

By using KNO3, for each 10ppm NO3 added, will also add 6.3ppm K
By using KH2PO4, for each 1ppm PO4 added, will also add 0.4ppm K

So, if you don't have any sign of K deficiency using these salts, you probably may skip the K2SO4 dosing, or use just enough to provide roughly the same amount of NO3.

I suggest the website Rotala Butterfly Nutrient Calculator to calculate how much you should add dry of each salt or add a few mL from a pre solution (I suggest to make a concentrated solution and dose by mL).

Magnesium is also consumed in a good amount along with calcium, so you should keep your water at least with a general hardness between 4 and 8 °dH (depending on your fish and plants) and a Ca:Mg balance of 4:1 ~ 3:1. So, depending on your tap water parameters (or using RODI water) you should also buy CaSO4.2H2O to dose along with MgSO4.7H2O.

In my tank I use NaNO3, KH2PO4 for nitrates and phosphates; K2CO3 and NaHCO3 for potassium and KH; CaSO4.2H2O and MgSO4.7H2O for GH. For NaNO3 and KH2PO4 I use separated concentrated solutions (easier to correct the amounts of each separately), and for K | KH | GH, I dissolve the salts directly into the new water of the water change.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you very much for the info you provided. I have no test kits for many of the above. Will need to purchase them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay82 View Post
Thank you very much for the info you provided. I have no test kits for many of the above. Will need to purchase them.
I do have gh kh tests. Laat i checked gh was 8 and kh was 4. But maybe the other way around.

Sorry late at night and im about to sleep.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-19-2018 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 03:17 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay82 View Post
I do have gh kh tests. Laat i checked gh was 8 and kh was 4. But maybe the other way around.
Make sure about these values. If your GH is 8, its could be probably all calcium (as I saw many users from USA with high GH being just calcium), that's why stores in USA commonly sell MgSO4 salts along with macros.

So you may add around 2~5ppm Mg in your water changes and check after some time if your new leafs shows any Mg deficiency. As you tank is already running for 4 weeks, there is signs of any Mg deficiency?

About micros it's a little bit trickier to make your own, so you may check for an "industrialized mix" with other users available in your region. I mix my own micro solution using several different salts and I'm from Brazil, so I can't help much about it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode