CO2 for Noobies - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 for Noobies

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the hobby and am researching my CO2 options. I will be setting up a 55 gallon tank in the next month or so and am going for a SE Asia biotype tank with hopefully a lush jungle feel. I want to start it out heavily planted.

So for CO2 systems for beginners. I would love a kit that's easy to use like the Fluval co2 kits, but they say it's only good to 40 gal. Is this true? Is any amount of co2 better than none?

Should I look for a regulator kit more similar to Dr Foster and Smith's Semi Automatic Regulator kit?

Also, could explore DIY options.

Or carbon cartridge options like Sicce CO2 Life 2 Aquarium CO2 Injection System

Any recommendations or advice is much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
You are correct in there being a lot of options and sorting through the options is really a very important point. CO2 can be expensive to get started but it is even more expensive to start in one way and find it not worth the effort!
So a look from my view as each does have benefits and downsides.
I would say avoid the mixing of items to make CO2 as those are not really long term things that will be fun to do every few days or so and they are also not well suited for 55 gallon. CO2 output varies and is not terribly stable.
Step up might be the small cartridge items. Also not good for largish tanks as the cost and time involved in buying/changing cartridges is not going to be good.
Full blown pressure CO2 is expensive but best once it is all in place. How expensive varies a lot. Off the shelf commercial sets that have the regulator to cut the pressure down, a solenoid to act as a "gate" to cut flow on/off and a needle valve to better control that flow can work and they can be had for around $100-150 plus the cost of a tank. But they also have many complaints/defects built in as they are not famous for using good solenoids and needle valves. The reg seems to work okay but the small parts drive many to buy a better set later. Rebuying costs more than buying right the first time, so budget is almost always a factor.
My personal choice is to study the various parts to learn what each does and then shop carefully for those parts and screw them together to fit what I feel works best for me. That is not something some are setup to do, due to time, tools, or personal choices like that. But it can give the best set, built with high quality parts. Downside is obvious, that it does take longer and also does take more effort to screw things together. That last part can be areal bear if one doesn't own a wrench, though? But for the better quality and performance, a guy can buy the few tools needed if it fits what he likes. Better setup/ cheaper price but lots of decisions.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode