CO2 and Water's KH buffering ability - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)
CO2 and Water's KH buffering ability

Hello all...here's a little background..
My tap water after letting it settle for 12 hours has a PH of 7.5 , a KH of 13 and a GH of 15...

Now...when I set up my 29 gallon ...I used RO water for water changes to bring the Hardness and KH down...and used CO2 to maintain PH between 6.6 - 6.8

Currently Im working with my 75 gallon...and I refuse to use RO for water changes as this will involve a lot of RO water and hassle...also I dont want to invest in a RO or deionizer unit either...

So my question is ....
to maintain a steady PH and work with the KH I have ( PH 7.5 and KH 13 )....how much of a rebound is gonna happen at night without the CO2...now I do have plants ..but they are newly planted..and it is not heavily planted yet...

Say if I ran my co2 24 hrs...could i avoid night spikes by adjusting to a certain level of CO2....is this even possible without a controller? what if i ran an airstone at night to blow some co2 off...

My end goal is to maintain a PH around 7.2 and have 30ppm of co2...

I just didnt want PH swings or too much CO2 killing the fish ...but at the same time wanted to maintain the CO2 and Ph working with the current KH....

if this is all far fetched...then I guess I could try filtering with peat moss...
but does the CO2 chart become invalid because of peat filteration ?

Thanks a million

Ehiem Pimp # 88
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 04:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I run mine 24/7 without any significant pH swing even with 7 dKH only.

Something doesn't sound right on your KH and pH reading. It's either the KH is too high or the pH is too low. If your KH is 13 for sure, your tap's pH should be closer to 8.

Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 05:12 PM
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Deja vu, FISA ! See my post in the other forum we both frequent!!

46g bf, XP3 w/ vertical spray bar, CO2 w/ SMS122 & diffuser,100% Flourite, 96w+55w cf AHS, AGA Member

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 08:27 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to Crs2fr
man i got mine balanced right off~. my kh is steady at 3.. and ph at 6.7 ... pearling all day~. .and i leave my co2 running at night.. i do not have a bubble counter or ph controller.. i use my city water to do water changes and RO water to do topoffs. once you get your kh/ph right your ph swings will stop.. my kh was 0 and ph of 7.. before i put in these two limestone rocks..and i was having hard drops on ph.. down to 6.5 at night. up to 7 during the day... i would do an RO water change.. get your kh down~. .that will also lower you ph.. but the more co2 you put in, will also lower your ph.. .. arrrg.. all this stuff never makes sence~. hehehe. or do 50/50 changes~. you'll get it..

chris

"Born to fish, Forced to work"

72gal Bowfront -(FW), 2215 Ehiem w/surface skimmer, Coralife Compact Fluorescent - 2-55 watt 6700K /2-65 watt 10000k(3.6w/gal), Tunze Osmomat 5024, Tunze CO2 Regulator 7077/2,Tunze CO2 Diffuser 7074.50
My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2 Native Bluegills (male&fem), 2 Sterbi Corys, 1 Royal Line Pleaco, 1 Rubber Lip Pleaco, 1 SAE
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)
Hey BSS ..yeah I just read your reply on there

@ninoboy...yeah...your right about the PH being closer to 8

anybody has any more input ? thanks a million

Ehiem Pimp # 88

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
the higher it is the hard it will be to move the ph... means you use more co2 but you also shouldn't have swings
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Planted Member

FISA, my tap water is pH 7.8 KH 9. I leave the CO2 on continuously. The pH remains steady at 7.0 most of the daily cycle. It does drop to 6.8 towards the end of the "lights off" period.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode