Are we dosing enough K? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are we dosing enough K?

I posted this on the APD and thought it could be of interest here too.

I think that K uptake by plants might be higher than we think. I've been dosing it regularly through KNO3 and/or K2SO4 so that at water change I'm adding 20mg/l. And then mid-week adding 4-5mg/l. And I was *still* getting pinholes in the older leaves of Hygrophila corymbosa.

I've always wondered what the actual levels and uptake was so I finally broke down and bought a LaMotte K test kit (ok, so I'm a control freak!). I received it mid-week and I did the first test 3 days after water change and dosing (and before my usual mid-week dosing). The result: 8-10mg/l of K. Which logically means that I was at 0 when I did my water change!

I dosed 10mg/l of K at that point. 2 days later I measured 14-15mg/l of K in the tank. So an uptake of 4-5mg/l in two days.

Given that K is the nutrient that the majority of us never measure (we just dose to a certain level), could it be that more problems than we realize are due to a deficiency in K? and this causes an imbalance or uptake problem of other nutrients?

I'm aware of some discussions re excessive K inhibiting Ca uptake but I don't think this is an issue unless you have extemely soft water...

Eheim Pimp #83

Eheim 2126, 2026 and 2222, 2x Eheim autofeeders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to rayhwong
thanks for the post. I was wondering the exact same thing. I will use your measurements as a guideline on dosing K.

Ray

Eheim Pimp #91
Tank Information: 100 gallon TruVu, white play sand, Eheim 2028pro2 and 2026pro2, 2X96W PC 6700K and 2X55W PC GE 9325K, Pressurized CO2, Eheim autofeeder
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have to agree with Laith. I read Tom Barr's recommendation on K dosing if you are on a regular KNO3 regimen and I've tried eliminating K2SO4 dosing, but still found those same pinholes on older leaves. Adding the K2SO4 on top of the KNO3 has eliminated the pinholes.
There may be instances where the K in KNO3 is enough, but I don't believe that I am one of those!

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
I have to agree with Laith. I read Tom Barr's recommendation on K dosing if you are on a regular KNO3 regimen and I've tried eliminating K2SO4 dosing, but still found those same pinholes on older leaves. Adding the K2SO4 on top of the KNO3 has eliminated the pinholes.
There may be instances where the K in KNO3 is enough, but I don't believe that I am one of those!
Same results for me. I am back to dosing K at 2x of NO3.

Eheim Pimp Club member #14
2215 Classic
Eheim CO2 Diffuser
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Some folks were experiencing other problems and reducing K+ dosing, or eliminating it, apparently helped. I believe there were other things involved that added potassium, though- e.g., Seachem Equilibrium.

James
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Interesting, I have the exact same problem. I thought I dosed to 15-20ppm of K each week by assuming there was no K uptake, but it seems that my tank is chewing through the K like crazy. I now dose 30ppm of K and the problems went away.

What kind of potential problems am I looking at for the fishes by adding too much SO4?

Update pics, 9/25/04 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club #49, 2028, 2215, surface extractor, autofeeder.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode