API Leaf Zone - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By zalinth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
API Leaf Zone

Has anyone had any issues with API Leaf Zone turning the tank water yellow?? This is the first time I tried API Leaf Zone and I did what the direction said and added 5 mils per 10 gallon. My tank is a 30 gallon, so I did 3 cap fulls and ever since then it looked like someone pissed in it. I figured it would go away after a couple of hours but it has been a couple of days now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 10:03 PM

I just started up my 20g planted aquarium and have used it twice. A capful is 10ml, which is the recommended amount for a 20g tank. I didn't have any issues with yellowing. If you did 3 capfuls, that would mean you doubled the amount recommended. Maybe that is what caused the yellowing.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormaz View Post
I just started up my 20g planted aquarium and have used it twice. A capful is 10ml, which is the recommended amount for a 20g tank. I didn't have any issues with yellowing. If you did 3 capfuls, that would mean you doubled the amount recommended. Maybe that is what caused the yellowing.
Crap you are right, I didn't see the marking on the side of the cap and when I thought I was doing 5ml, I was actually dropping 10ml in. So I did a total of 30ml instead of 15ml. I will just do a quick water change and hopefully remove some of that extra I put in.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 12:23 AM
Banned

Just a note, Leaf zone only contains 2 of the 14 nutrients plants need. One is potassium and the other is iron. Iron typically imparts a yellow collor to the fertilizer. If your water becomes deficient in one of the 12 nutrients not included in Leaf Zone you will have algae issues. For the money you spent on it it is not a good fertilzer.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
Just a note, Leaf zone only contains 2 of the 14 nutrients plants need. One is potassium and the other is iron. Iron typically imparts a yellow collor to the fertilizer. If your water becomes deficient in one of the 12 nutrients not included in Leaf Zone you will have algae issues. For the money you spent on it it is not a good fertilzer.
I think I figured out why my water was turning yellow. That same day I added the leaf zone, I also added three dwarf waterlily bulbs I brought from the LFS. One out of the three bulbs would not sink and keep floating to the top and when I did the water change last night the bulb came floating to the top again. So I said heck with that bulb and pulled it out and placed it in the bucket of old tank water. After the water change I lightly squeezed the bulb under the water in the bucket and it basically popped and this nasty brown/yellow crap came oozing out of it. So I am thinking I had a bad bulb and it was leaking that stuff in the tank.

I do have dry ferts but I am a little gun shy on using them again. To make a long story short the past three years I have been battling BBA and no matter what I did I could not find the balance in this tank and could not get it to stop growing on everything. I got so tired of dealing with it that I finally just broke down and re-did the whole tank. Moved the fish into a temp home, though out the eco-complete, undid my DIY citric acid/baking soda c02 and Hydrogen peroxide the empty tank. Tank looks band new now and just got done re-cycling and trying to go low-tech and not start a BBA farm again.
irishspy and irishspy like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode