PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dmastin
Help ID Deficiency Please

Which deficiency(ies) please?
I have a 50 gallon aquarium
5 T5 bulbs with two on for 10 hours and all five for a couple
EI fertilization
two bubbles a sec CO2
weekly 50% water change then 3/4 tsp Ultimate GH Booster (GLA)
MWF 1/2 tsp KNO3, 1/8 tsp KH2PO4, 1/8 K2SO4
TTh 1/8 tsp Plantex CSM+B (GLA)
Pfertz root tabs
Daily 1 tsp Seachem Excel
First pic holes in Anubias Nana (they are really only getting nutrients from water column as they are attached to driftwood).
Note the degraded edges of cryptocoryne spiralis in second pic.
Also any ID on the rust green colored leaves in second pic (also lots of holes here)?
Lots of other fast growing plants, not necessarily shown, growing just fine: alternanthera reineckii, hydrocotyle tripartita mini, hydrocotyle verticillata, ludwigia-arcuata, riccia fluitans, rotala-rotundifolia-ceylon for example.
Thank you!
https://imgur.com/Jg79jHv
and
https://imgur.com/Bxoo4Vm
OR see below

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dmastin; 02-17-2018 at 06:40 PM. Reason: images
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @dmastin,

Do you know any of your water parameters?

pH?
dKH?
dGH?
NO3 ppm?

Please provide any of the above if you can please.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

pH runs about 7.1 pre CO2 to 6.8 before bubbles off.
36ppm CaCO3=2.1kH
RO water is 3-5 ppm TDS
Sun pre GH booster before fertz begins 110ppm TDS post GH booster 143ppm TDS
up to Sat post micros 222ppm TDS
77.6F

post #4 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @dmastin,

In the first picture, is that new leaf emerging pretty much as 'white' as it appears in the photo?

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 02-17-2018 at 07:09 PM. Reason: ..
post #5 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

As I just look new growth is light green. I can't see anything approaching white, must be the camera. These Anubias have been in the tank for years and I've never notice any color issues. I have added lots of new plants lately and started seeing the holes, however.

post #6 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @dmastin,

It appears to be a calcium issue, but it is difficult to tell from the two pictures. Could you provide more pictures of a few more species please, maybe quicker growing species like stem plants?

Roy_________

post #7 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Three pics:

Bump: Note the plant with lots of holes in the second pic is only getting nutrients from water column as it's just attached to some driftwood.
BTW, what is this plant?
thanks

post #8 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So calcium deficiency?
Hmm, might make sense.
We have well water that's full of everything and so I'd NEVER added any GH Booster.
Then I bought a RO system a couple of years ago and forgot I might need to be adding back minerals!
I only started adding GH Booster a month ago.
Currently I'm adding 3/4 tsp of GH booster with every weekly 50% water change.
Should I up it to 1 tsp weekly?
Are there disadvantages to too much GH booster?

post #9 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
holes in leaves is probably potassium

post #10 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @dmastin,

Sorry, long power outage here in the area south of Seattle....major wind with snow in the mountains.....sending it your way!

Yes, definately calcium (Ca) also magnesium (Mg) - do you see the Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Bronze'(?) leaves on the right side of the top photo and how they are 'cupped' downward along the margins? 'Cupped' older leaves (either upward or downward) is a symptom of a need for more magnesium. The holes in the leaves seem to be occurring on both new emerging leaves and older leaves; if it was just older leaves I would agree with @Chlorophile that potassium might be needed. The spots of necrosis (dead tissue/holes) could be the result of the calcium deficiency but since Seachem Equilibrium adds calcium, magnesium, and potassium we will have all three covered.

I'd like you to keep everything the same; same lights, same photoperiod, same dosing frequency and quantities of nutrients as you have been doing. All I would like you to do is increase the GH Booster that you are dosing. Do an initial dose of one (1) teaspoon per 10 gallons. When you do a water change add 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons of new water added to the the tank. Now the hard part...............wait two weeks. Don't look at your existing leaves, they will not change. Watch the new leaves as they emerge after you start dosing the Equilibrium, they should look straighter with little to no deformities and little to no 'scalloped' leaf margins and the new leaves on that stem plant should no longer 'hook' downward. Determining if the magnesium issues is resolved or not will take longer, you will have to wait for the new leaves that appear mature. As they mature they should no longer 'cup' as the current ones are doing and if potassium is causing the holes in the leave they should not occur. Keep us posted as things progress, pictures are always appreciated. Questions...just ask!

Roy_________

post #11 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry to hear about your power outage.
As I understand...
Ca and Mg deficiency are likely.
Holes in new leaves are less suggestive of K deficiency.
Necrosis are suggestive of Ca deficiency.
Then you mention Seachem Equilibrium which I am NOT adding.
You suggest only changing one variable at a time.
You suggest an initial dose of 1 tsp of GH Booster per ten gallons and same when adding new water.
Then you counsel patience.
Ok, sounds great except let me know if the fact I'm NOT adding Seachem Equilibrium would alter your advice, I am adding GLA Ultimate GH Booster.
Maybe you were using the terms Equilibrium and Ultimate GH Booster Booster interchangeably as Ultimate GH Booster does contain Ca, Mg, and K.
I will assume this is the case and your advice is unchanged.
I understand the importance of varying one element at a time and I am comfortable with the EI routine that I have.
I am not much into tweaking this and that.
So, I'll increase the GH Booster and keep you updated!
Thanks so much and stay warm!

STRIKE
weekly 50% water change then
3/4 tsp Ultimate GH Booster (GLA)
REPLACE WITH
Initially dose of 1 tsp of GH Booster per ten gallons.
weekly 50% water change and
add 1 tsp GH Booster per ten gallons of new water

everything else as was...
MWF 1/2 tsp KNO3, 1/8 tsp KH2PO4, 1/8 K2SO4
TTh 1/8 tsp Plantex CSM+B (GLA)
Pfertz root tabs
Daily 1 tsp Seachem Excel

Ultimate GH Booster from GLA contains:
Ca 3.3739 %
Mg 4.0921 %
K 19.7483 %
S 16.1958 %

post #12 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @dmastin,

Although our friends at GLA do not give us the ingredients in their GLA GH Booster is is likely based upon Tom Barr's recipe of DIY GH Booster (as it aquariumfertilizer.com and Nilocg.com); approximately:
Quote:
"Barrs GH Booster contains magnesium sulfate (1 part), calcium sulfate (3 parts) and potassium sulfate (3 parts) by weight. It is an excellent water conditioner. If there are difficulties with solubility you can add a very small amount (1 tsp to 500 ml water) of cider vinegar to increase solubility"
Yes, you can use the GLA Booster instead of Seachem Equilibrium. Looking forward to seeing your results!

Roy_________

post #13 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Regarding GLA Ultimate GH Booster, this is all I know and was sent to me by Orlando from GLA:
Ca 3.3739 %
Mg 4.0921 %
K 19.7483 %
S 16.1958 %

I will keep you updated!
Thank you again.

post #14 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Chugging along. New leaves seem to be looking better. I'll provide photos after a few more days.
Was stunned tonight used my Alkalinity Colorimeter HI775 Hanna Checker - Fresh Water and found 36ppm CaCO3=2.1kH exactly what I had before adding the extra Ultimate GH Booster (UGHB) (initial 1tsp per 10 gallons and then 1tsp per 10 gallons Sun with 50% water change).
So I added another 1 tsp Ultimate GH Booster (with the words I'm not a tweaker running through my head) and after a while found a measurement of 52ppm CaCO3 so I know at least the instrument can return something other than 36ppm.
Still, I was surprised.
Currently I've added an initial 1tsp per 10 gallons of UGHB and then 1tsp per 10 gallons of new water and then an extra 1tsp in a 50 gallon tank (more like 45 gallons with substrate and a giant piece of driftwood and plant mass).
So still pretty low.
But I guess I should advise myself that how the plants respond is more important than a number?
thanks for any thoughts
David

post #15 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @dmastin (aka David)

I'm glad you have started the dosing. Calcium (Ca) being an immobile nutrient results in the deficiency showing up on the new leaves so we can see the results (or not) of changes in our dosing of an immobile nutrient very quickly. However magnesium (Mg) is a mobile nutrient and deficiencies the symptoms show up either on recently matured or matured leaves so we may wait several weeks to know if any changes in dosing improve deficiency symptoms. Thank you for keeping us posted! -Roy

Roy_________

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode