• 2 Post By Quagulator
  • 2 Post By houseofcards
  • 2 Post By Ekliptix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
All In One Fertilizer?

What's the best all-in-one fertilizer? I've heard good things about EI, but that it's missing potassium and the other two main 'elements'?

Also... What's the difference between macro and micro? Simply the size? Do different types of... What do you call them? Chemicals? Elements of fertilizer?.... fall into different categories of macro/micro? I haven't taken Chem yet (next year! ^.^) so this is all new to me. So far the plants in my tanks are surviving, but not doing as good as they could be. The main deficiency is Nitrate, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

All In One Fertilizer?

What do you mean EI is missing potassium and other elements? Normally with EI people mix up salts into a solution or dose dry meaning you can put whatever is needed into it. EI is a complete package (Some plants like nutrient substrate or root tabs too) Alot of people like the Seachem range of fertilisers as an all in one.

Macros are nutrients used in large amounts (Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium)

Micros are nutrients used in small amounts (iron, boron, copper molybdenum ect...)

-Oscar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA mini M low tech with Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Puffers
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Macro: N, P, K
Secondary Macro: S, Ca, Mg
Micro: Fe, B, Zn, Cu, Mn, Mo, Cl, Ni

EI covers everything really, but I wouldn't call it an "all in one" fertilizer. People usually have success with it. Look up Thrive and PPS-Pro as well.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oscar, I just meant that I saw somewhere that someone was dosing EI and plants were still showing Potassium(?) and Magnesium(?) deficiencies.

Quagulator, I'll look up both, thanks! Is Thrive the one that Aquarium Co-Op uses? (Actually, I think he uses Easy Green?, but not sure.)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFishThough View Post
Oscar, I just meant that I saw somewhere that someone was dosing EI and plants were still showing Potassium(?) and Magnesium(?) deficiencies.

Quagulator, I'll look up both, thanks! Is Thrive the one that Aquarium Co-Op uses? (Actually, I think he uses Easy Green?, but not sure.)
Just google it, I use EI and mod it to me needs along with other sources so I'm not familiar with Thrive or Co-op's stuff. What isn't supplied from EI is usually found within tap water anyway. If you go that route, just watch your plants and adjust as necessary. Lots of people will supplement micros with flourish, flourish Iron, CaSO4, MgSO4, CaCL2 etc. etc. depending on what their plants are telling them.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay... So, which would you buy? I see there's a difference between the PPS-pro and regular PPS... Just not sure the benefits of either and/or reasons not to pay the extra $12.50.

Regular:
Estimative Index | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

Pro:
PPS-Pro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

I think the main difference is the MgSO4 and K2SO4. Are both necessary?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:39 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Macro: N, P, K
Secondary Macro: S, Ca, Mg
Micro: Fe, B, Zn, Cu, Mn, Mo, Cl, Ni
Lately I've been using the dry salts for NPK and using Flourish for the micros since it contains everything else. I usually use CSM+B for micros but it doesn't contain as much as the Flourish. I'm sorta seeing if it makes any difference or not. Many of the other micros are supplied by the tap and are usually sufficient in most cases.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:55 PM
Algae Grower

Like someone mentioned, check this one out too: Thrive 500ml | Premium Liquid Fertilizer | NilocG Aquatics
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 04:56 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
Like someone mentioned, check this one out too: Thrive 500ml | Premium Liquid Fertilizer | NilocG Aquatics
This is what I use... has worked great for me.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Lately I've been using the dry salts for NPK and using Flourish for the micros since it contains everything else. I usually use CSM+B for micros but it doesn't contain as much as the Flourish. I'm sorta seeing if it makes any difference or not. Many of the other micros are supplied by the tap and are usually sufficient in most cases.
I do the same thing. Although when my big bottle of Flourish runs out, I'll just make my micro solution with CSM+B, as I already have some. I'm curious as to whether or not you see a noticeable difference. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that Flourish(comprehensive) is mainly just a source for iron and that seachem trace should be used in conjunction with it. Not sure how much difference this makes to the average planted tank.

Another thing to note is the source of iron chelate used should be chosen based on your pH. EDTA loses much of it's effectiveness in a pH higher than 6.5. DTPA would be a better source for harder water sources. I just wait until CO2 levels drop my pH to 6.4, which is just about an hour after the solenoid turns my gas on. Not sure what all binds with EDTA during the night but I don't think it matters so much when dosing it daily and doing religious water changes each week.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode