• 2 Post By infolific
  • 4 Post By burr740
  • 2 Post By burr740
  • 2 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fert Mixing Question... 17 teaspoons KNO3 in 500 ml?

Hey guys,

I am reaching the end of my Thrive+ and am looking to start mixing my GLA EI fertilizers I picked up.

I have 2 500ml mixing bottles (one for macros, one for the CSM+B) and have a 20 gallon tank.

From what I've read, I need to dissolve 17.5 teaspoons KNO3 into 500ml... is this even going to fully dissolve? Are there any tips / tricks into mixing these ferts to get it to dissolve completely?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hot, pure water
changaroo and changaroo like this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Dosing calculators should tell you if you will be running into solubility issues. I know I had problems with that the first few times with macro solutions. If they don't dissolve completely I would double the amount of water added and double the dose size to compensate. That said, 17 tsp sounds way too high for a 500 ml solution.

https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:12 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
That depends on how much solution you will be dosing per, say, 10g of aquarium water.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:27 PM
Algae Grower

I had similar troubles when I first started mixing. I went for the highest concentration recipe which I thought made sense since it meant a bottle would last longer. Since I couldn't get the stuff to dissolve well I ended up going with more diluted mixtures in larger containers.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:44 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
20 tsb is about as much KNO3 that will dissolve in 500 ml of water. 17 should be doable, but it also might get tricky when you add the P and possibly extra K in the mix

Im wondering how many ppm of NO3 are you trying to hit with each dose? A standard EI dose of 7.5 ppm, 500 ml of water, 5 ml dose, calls for roughly 13 tsp.

So it sounds like you are either trying to dose more than 7.5 ppm, which is fine, I do it myself, or you'd like to use extremely small doses.

Use the calculator linked above in d33pVI's post. And as already mentioned, the simplest thing would be to go with larger doses, 10 ml instead of 5, etc

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33pVI View Post
Dosing calculators should tell you if you will be running into solubility issues. I know I had problems with that the first few times with macro solutions. If they don't dissolve completely I would double the amount of water added and double the dose size to compensate. That said, 17 tsp sounds way too high for a 500 ml solution.

https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
20 tsb is about as much KNO3 that will dissolve in 500 ml of water. 17 should be doable, but it also might get tricky when you add the P and possibly extra K in the mix

Im wondering how many ppm of NO3 are you trying to hit with each dose? A standard EI dose of 7.5 ppm, 500 ml of water, 5 ml dose, calls for roughly 13 tsp.

So it sounds like you are either trying to dose more than 7.5 ppm, which is fine, I do it myself, or you'd like to use extremely small doses.

Use the calculator linked above in d33pVI's post. And as already mentioned, the simplest thing would be to go with larger doses, 10 ml instead of 5, etc
Thanks for that info.

Using the rotalabutterfly site (I was originally basing values from nilocgs, but realized my ferts were slightly diff) I get the following for a 500mL dosing container / 5 mL dose in a 20 gallon tank:

KNO3 - 92.58 grams to reach 7.5ppm NO3
KH2PO4 - 14.1 grams to reach 1.3ppm PO4
K2SO4 - 126.54 grams to reach 7.5ppm K (may have solubility issues)
CSM+B - 23.19 grams to reach 0.2ppm Fe

I have however noticed that my KNO3 dose will provide 4.73ppm of K and the K2SO4 provides 7.5ppm as well... is 12.23 ppm of potassium too much for the tank?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 02:08 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by changaroo View Post
I have however noticed that my KNO3 dose will provide 4.73ppm of K and the K2SO4 provides 7.5ppm as well... is 12.23 ppm of potassium too much for the tank?
That much K2SO4 will never dissolve in 500 ml.

Count whats in the KNO3 and just add 2 or 2.5 ppm from K2SO4. That'll give you a total around 7.5 ppm of K per dose.

Near the bottom on rotalabutterfly, beside "I am calculating for" change 'estimative index' to "dose to reach a target". Then enter however many ppm you want.

You may not even need the additional K2SO4. There'll be about 5 ppm from the NO3 and P. Lots of people dont add the extra. Unless you have really high light and a tank full of hungry stems, you probably wont need it.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 07:59 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Also, don't mix CSM with macros, mix micros in a separate container and dose macros and micros on alternate days.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode