Using PH Down - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using PH Down

I understand that using PH Down in my planted tank is not a good idea. Is there a down side to treat water before adding it to the tank? The reason I ask is my tap water registers about 8.1 pH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I might guess that you have been reading the right places and found that the PH down is pretty much "snake oil" as it only lowers the PH for a short time and that leaves your fish suffering through trying to match/adapt to a changing target? Often when you have PH that high, you will also have very high buffering and that makes it hard to lower the PH.
Stable is far more important. I find there are many advantages to treating water before it goes in the tank rather than after if you are speaking of changing the basic parameters like PH/GH/KH. If speaking of treating to remove chlorine or chloramine, most feel there is only some difference in doing it before or after. If using dechlor, you can save some money by adding it before the water goes in the tank as you treat only for that amount and if you wait till after , you need to treat for the whole tank volume which costs a bit more.
I like treating my water in a barrel and then letting it set to come up to tank temperature so that there is not a shock to the fish.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You might try a water softening resin product to first bring down the GH and KH in your water, thus making it less buffered and easier to lower the pH. The resin usually comes as little grains in a filter bag or "pillow". It can also be recharged and reused over and over by soaking in salty water, as per the instructions.

Olskule

"May the Fish be with you."

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys. It seems I need to educate myself before taking any action.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 04:53 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Fighting your tap water is a loosing battle. Stability is what you want, not some magic number. My tap is 8.4.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 07:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

either use RO water + buffering substrate like Amazonia or live with whatever PH your tap has. there are no reasonable other options really. diluting tap with RO water before it goes into tank might work but in my opinion if you have access to RO water then pair up buffering substrate with that

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode