Plant low nitrate indicator - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Plant low nitrate indicator

I found something I read today rather interesting. I'm starting to try to identify some of the plants in my tank as I slowly get everything working. Pay no attention to the algae in this photo please , hopefully as I get the nutrients straightened out and everything balanced it will go away (praying she said )

I'm fairly certain that this is Ammania gracilis and according to the description I read here , low nitrates will cause it to be more red/pink. It's definitely that! I just started dosing this last week and was a bit doubtful of my test readings (Red Sea) as it kept coming up "0". Testing a strong solution of KNO3 did register so I had to assume that the results were correct even though I had not been reading good things about this particular test here on the forums. So I dosed to what should be 10ppm. I didn't test after I dosed the tank (which I should have) and two days later it was again/still reading "0". So I dosed it again (yesterday) to 10ppm, and testing this morning showed (if I read this thing rightly...a Lamotte's is on the way, I certainly hope it's easier to differentiate!) 5ppm. At least that's something since it had been showing 0ppm . So it got half a dose of KNO3 this morning. Anyway, what it boils down to is that presumably the nitrate level really is/was that low since this A. gracillis is coming out such a pretty color of red. I will almost hate to see the color go away (not!)

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 06:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak
lol funny. The Lamotte's WILL help you sort this mess out lol. That is a pretty plant, but knowing your tank is balanced is better then one little pink plant lol
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pufferfreak
lol funny. The Lamotte's WILL help you sort this mess out lol. That is a pretty plant, but knowing your tank is balanced is better then one little pink plant lol
Tell me about it ! I'm getting there, I'm just looking on all this as a learning experience ...

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak
don't worry, your still going to have a bunch of "learning experiences" haha
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 01:41 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Plants can tear through nitrates, thats for sure. I am not sure that is whats going on over by you, but it is a possibility. You just started dosing, so if your plants were nitrate starved, they will suck down the nitrates to catch up.

I have a feeling you plant ID may be off. Do you have a better shot of the plant? From what I can see, it looks more like A. reineckii than A. gracilis. A better photo, please!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Sorry Mike, that's the best I can do on that one. It's over in a corner of the tank and the tank is "surrounded" by a couple of bookcases so I can't get a shot from the end. I did, however, clip off a couple of pieces and replant them in another spot in the background. When they grow up (heh) then I'll be able to get a pic of them I hope. It could very well be what you say. Trying to identify plants from pictures I'm finding well nigh impossible, and these aren't very healthy plants (at the moment, anyway,) so may not be typical as it is. And I can only identify about three plants on sight (one of which would be an anubia .)

Sláinte!
Cindy

-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode