Best All In One Liquid Fertilizer? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 6 Post By nilocg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best All In One Liquid Fertilizer?

Looking for the best all in one liquid fertilizer.

I'm contemplating...
Seachem Flourish ($11.75)
Aquarium Co-Op Easy Green ($19.99)
NilocG Aquatics Thrive ($25.99)
NilocG Aquatics Thrive + ($27.99)

Prices are for the 500mL bottle and includes shipping.

This will be for a beginner planted tank no CO2 yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You need to watch their marketing talk - not all of those are the same. Some say complete/all in one but only have micros. Decide if you need macros too, then check which include them (Flourish doesn't).
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Best is always a very subjective thing. While Seachem Flourish comp technically contains macros, functionally the amounts are so small as to really render it as a micronutrient source.

By way of comparison, if you wanted to add 7ppm of no3(nitrate) to a 10 gallon tank you would need ~2ml of Thrive. If you were to use seachem flourish you would need ~85ml. If you wanted to add 1.3ppm po4 with Thrive would would also use ~2ml, to do this with flourish you would need to add ~378ml. Its a good micronutrient source, just not an all in one(functionally).

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I use Seachem Flourish Comprehensive for the micros. I have been curious about the Thrive product but haven't tried it yet. So right now I am still dosing dry ferts separately for macros....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
Best is always a very subjective thing. While Seachem Flourish comp technically contains macros, functionally the amounts are so small as to really render it as a micronutrient source.

By way of comparison, if you wanted to add 7ppm of no3(nitrate) to a 10 gallon tank you would need ~2ml of Thrive. If you were to use seachem flourish you would need ~85ml. If you wanted to add 1.3ppm po4 with Thrive would would also use ~2ml, to do this with flourish you would need to add ~378ml. Its a good micronutrient source, just not an all in one(functionally).
Do you happen to know how much nitrate is in easy green? I was going to measure it but if you know that would be much easier. Also, is there anyway that you could make a dropper cap? I feel like the accuracy of squirt tops is questionable.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post

What are the difference between Thrive and Thrive +?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylmation View Post
What are the difference between Thrive and Thrive +?
Here is a good FAQ I wrote a while ago, it should explain everything that you need to know:

"I frequently receive questions regarding the use of Thrive, Thrive+ and ThriveS. The following are a few the most common questions.

1. Is Thrive and Thrive+ safe for shrimp?

Yes both Thrive and Thrive+ are completely safe for shrimp assuming you dose as suggested and keep up with the suggested water changes.

2. If Thrive and Thrive+ are safe for shrimp then why do you have a shrimp safe version(ThriveS)?

This comes down to a question of the focus of the tank. If shrimp are the focus of the tank then you want to go with ThriveS. If the focus of the tank are plants then go with Thrive or Thrive+. If you have ever had a shrimp focused tank before then you know the importance of water stability. Water changes are important, but they are normally small and infrequent. ThriveS is designed to not increase the necessity of water changes above what would normally be done with good tank maintenance on a shrimp tank. While Thrive and Thrive+ are shrimp safe they are highly concentrated to provide the plants with all the necessary nutrients, which also increases the need for frequent larger water changes.

3. I have a planted tank, what is the difference between Thrive and Thrive+? Which should I use?

Thrive+ is designed for tanks with a ph of around 7 or below. Thrive can be used at any ph level. Thrive+ contains 60% more iron and two forms of nitrogen(organic and inorganic). If you have a higher tech tank with a ph of around 7 or below then go with Thrive+, if not go with Thrive."

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
Do you happen to know how much nitrate is in easy green? I was going to measure it but if you know that would be much easier. Also, is there anyway that you could make a dropper cap? I feel like the accuracy of squirt tops is questionable.
I think its roughly 3-4ppm no3 per dose but I dont know off hand exactly. The pumps arent super accurate but for the majority of uses it works perfectly fine. I dont have any dropper caps, but I know amazon has tons of options for small syringes.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I ended up purchasing Thrive +

Should I continue also using Excel? or only use Thrive + ?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylmation View Post
So I ended up purchasing Thrive +

Should I continue also using Excel? or only use Thrive + ?
Excel is an algaecide, using Thrive+ would not change your need for Excel. If you feel it helps I would suggest continuing its use.

Thanks
NilocG
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 02:45 PM

This was super helpful! I am awaiting delivery of my new 10 gal tank. I have not had a tank in a couple years and my memory on dosing ferts seems to be very rusty. I wasnt planning on doing co2, so along side using Thrive, would you recommend seachem flourish for micros? thanks.

Tank: Dennerle scaper's tank
lighting: LED 6,500K, 500 Lumen, 21V. 5.5W
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Thrive is an all in one, contains macros and micros. There shouldn't be a need for Flourish Comp.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemyfishdust View Post
This was super helpful! I am awaiting delivery of my new 10 gal tank. I have not had a tank in a couple years and my memory on dosing ferts seems to be very rusty. I wasnt planning on doing co2, so along side using Thrive, would you recommend seachem flourish for micros? thanks.

Tank: Dennerle scaper's tank
lighting: LED 6,500K, 500 Lumen, 21V. 5.5W

As noted above, you will not need to add flourish comp in addition to Thrive.

Thanks
Colin / NilocG

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode