Looking for advice on water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking for advice on water

I am looking for some advice or suggestions on my water parameters. I feel like my water has high Gh but I am not sure what I want to do or if it is something I need to worry about. I feel like if I mix RO/DI water with my well water then I will have to use chemicals to raise the other parameters. I am not against doing that, just don't want to if I don't need to. Just want to make it I really have a problem before I try to fix something that isn't broke.

My tank is a 55 gal that is probably moderately planted. I am using a using a Fluval Planted 2.0 on a timer for my light. I have it split to two 4 hour periods with a 3 hour break in the middle. I am not sure on the PAR values, I am still working out what works best for the amount of light. Right now it is on at max output. I am using a pressurized C02 system that is right now around two bubbles per second, my 4 dKh drop checker just barely turns green, still more blue then green. Right now I think my problem with the CO2 is the tank is bigger then what the diffuser can supply. The diffuser is a cheap one from amazon. Working at fixing that hopefully by the end of the week. The substrate is generic potting soil topped by saf-t-sorb. I started PPS-Pro ferts about a week ago based on what GLA recommends. I dose the ferts in the morning before the lights come but after the CO2 comes on. I have the CO2 set to come on about an hour before the lights and the CO2 goes off about an hour before Most of my algae has gotten under control other then the bba/diatoms and a little gsa. About two months ago I also started doing about a 50% water change once a week which has seemed to help with the algae. Before that was just when ever i felt like it, or had the time.

For plants I have some anubias, java ferns, amazon val, a couple of swords, some micro sword that i just added a few weeks ago, and a few other misc stems.

What I have from my tank water. These were tested with API liquid test kits

PH 7.6 (highest color on the chart)
Gh 30 drops
Kh 7 drops
NO2 0
NO3 40
NH3/4 .25
PO3/4 2.0

The only thing that has really changed since the ferts and C02 were added is the NO3, it went from 10 to 40 in about a week. Think I need more plants

What I have from my well water (no gas off time)

PH 6.8
Gh 32 drops
Kh 7 drops
NO2 0
NO3 0
NH3/4 0
PO3/4 0

What I am thinking the best option would be is to leave the water as is for now but I would like to get a high range Ph test kit so I can figure out what the Ph is at. Not really sure why the Ph is higher in my tank then what I get from my well. Only thing I can think of is maybe I have more dissolved CO2 in my well water then I do in my tank. When I do the water change in my tank the drop checker will turn more green. I will have to let some well water sit out over night and test it again.

Last edited by block134; 02-06-2018 at 02:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode