How much RO/DI? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How much RO/DI?

Hello,

New to the forum and new to planted tanks. I have never (successfully) had a planted tank, but have african cichlid tanks, but would like to convert my 35gallon hex tank into a planted tank. Besides my issue trying to figure out proper lighting for this tank, I have hard well water. 12 dKH and 20dGH. I have a RO/DI 5 stage filter and was wondering is my best bet mixing DI water with my existing well water and if so what ratio should I do well to DI. I plan on growing low to medium low light plants and making a DIY CO2 generator. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 08:10 PM
Banned

If your well GH is 12 try a 50/50 mix. that should reduce the GH to about 6. but confirm that with a GH test kit.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 08:18 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Usually we try to get the KH in the 4-6 range and GH in 6-10 range. So anything from 50/50 to 35/65 will be good (tap/RO proportions).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

GH is 20, KH is 12.

Both GH and KH are refering to concentrations (in one form or another). RODI water should 0 GH and KH. From these, it means we can use simple formulae for dilutions. All of the below are volume ratios, well:RODI

1:9 - ten fold dilution - GH 2 KH 1.2 (By and large too low unless you specifically know some fish or plant require this )
1:1 - two fold dilution - GH 10, KH 6 ( Most economical, works with many plants)
1:3 - four fold dilution - GH 5, KH 3 ( Seems to be targeted by many with high tech tanks)

On hiatus till later this year
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I wasn't sure if a simple dilution ratio would work, especially after I start adding CO2. Will CO2 affect the gh or kh? or just pH? Since I don't think I can do high light plants CO2 may only be 2 bubbles/s. With a dGH of 20 and dKH of 12 how do I get the values where I want them?

Thanks again
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

No, CO2 will not influence GH and KH. But higher KH, typically results in higher pH, the reverse is not true.

On hiatus till later this year
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What is everyone's opinion on diluting with RO/DI? With the high gh and kh will it have a great benefit diluting by say half RO and half tap water, or would I be better off using straight tap? I have the RO/DI system so making the water is not a big issue, though I do not know how I am storing it yet, but if plants will still do really well in my tap, I am not sure I want to do this.

Any advice welcome. I am thinking filling 7 gallon buckets I have with 50% RO and 50% tap and pumping the water into the tank after I do a wc.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 07:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
With your GH being that high, I'd dilute because it can limit the fish you can stock. I used to run straight tap, mine had a GH of 13-15...I couldn't keep certain fish alive. Oto's would only last a few days, neon tetras didn't thrive. I made the switch to RODI and haven't lost an Oto since, other fish seem to do much better in general as well.

I go the remineralization route vs dilution, using CaSO4 and MgSO4 to raise GH to 4-5, and I use nilocG's ReKHarb to raise KH to 3. It allows me complete control and fine tuning. Your well water is free though, and probably fairly consistent. 1:1 mix would be fine, I'd actually go with more RODI though to get that GH closer to 6. Hard enough for all your plants and inverts, not so hard as to limit your stocking.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
With your GH being that high, I'd dilute because it can limit the fish you can stock. I used to run straight tap, mine had a GH of 13-15...I couldn't keep certain fish alive. Oto's would only last a few days, neon tetras didn't thrive. I made the switch to RODI and haven't lost an Oto since, other fish seem to do much better in general as well.

I go the remineralization route vs dilution, using CaSO4 and MgSO4 to raise GH to 4-5, and I use nilocG's ReKHarb to raise KH to 3. It allows me complete control and fine tuning. Your well water is free though, and probably fairly consistent. 1:1 mix would be fine, I'd actually go with more RODI though to get that GH closer to 6. Hard enough for all your plants and inverts, not so hard as to limit your stocking.
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. Prob doing cardinal tetras or emperor tetras and cherry barbs.

Tags
dgh, dkh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode