• 4 Post By goodbytes
  • 4 Post By houseofcards
  • 2 Post By Deanna
  • 2 Post By Deanna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Root tabs

I can't grow any sword plants do I need root tabs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 09:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

In my opinion root tabs certainly help a lot. Swords are heavy root feeders.

If this is your first time using them, and you only have a few swords, purchase a small supply of them and try them out. If you have a lot of plants, and will need a lot of root tabs, consider going the DIY route and making your own.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply

I have 2 types of crypts which are growing very slow and 3 sword plants which I pulled a lot of leaves off because they were pretty much dead so I'm think I need root tabs

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Swords typically need some substrate fertilization but that is only part of the picture.

Can you tell us a bit about your tank, size, lights, lighting schedule, substrate, etc?
Also, how long ago did you plant these swords? Some aquarium plants are grown emersed and when they are planted fully submerged they will have to shed their emersed leaves and grow fully aquatic versions of them.

Pictures may also be helpful.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
Swords typically need some substrate fertilization but that is only part of the picture.

Can you tell us a bit about your tank, size, lights, lighting schedule, substrate, etc?
Also, how long ago did you plant these swords? Some aquarium plants are grown emersed and when they are planted fully submerged they will have to shed their emersed leaves and grow fully aquatic versions of them.

Pictures may also be helpful.
My tank is 180 litres got 2 45 watt t5,s the swords are in there a couple of months

I have westlands aquatic soil, I don't think there is a lot of nutrition in it .

I keep my lights on for 8-10 hrs

I have 5 angelfish and just bought 5 plays

I thought the fish waste would be enough to feed the plants

Had problems with brown algae on the plants too

First picture is the plant I'm on about I pulled all the longer leaves off because they were damaged

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-04-2018 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 03:45 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
If you dose the water column correctly you don't need substrate fertilizers. If your relying on fish waste/food that's only macro ferts you need micro as well like Seachem Flourish.

BTW Your tank is too small for 5 Angels
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 05:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

I second @houseofcards comments about the non-necessity of root tabs and the necessity of adding nutrients to the water column. there are several studies, here on TPT, that support this. Take a look at these:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8-...er-column.html

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/33...t-fiction.html

Do the good basics: make sure your light is the right amount for your CO2 levels and make sure your nutrients aren't limited.

I can't tell what your light levels are (PAR values) so, can't tell if you have the right amount of light. It doesn't appear that you are injecting CO2, so lower light levels are best.

If it were me, I'd get a few basic test kits: nitrate, phosphate and GH. Each about $10-$15. My favorites are the Salifert nitrate test kit and the API phosphate and GH kits. Those will tell you if some of the key macro nutrients are sufficient. Then, as houseofcards mentioned, you will know how much more to add. One macro that is certainly required, and which you are not dosing, is potassium, which does not come from fish waste. Traces/micros are also needed and are dosed separately.

For a novice, a good way to go is to use Seachem's product line, which are available on Amazon and, usually, at your LFS. Just follow the directions.
pajosryan13 and pajosryan13 like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
If you dose the water column correctly you don't need substrate fertilizers. If your relying on fish waste/food that's only macro ferts you need micro as well like Seachem Flourish.

BTW Your tank is too small for 5 Angels
Thanks for your reply

Why is my tank two small for 5 angels? they're in there 2.5 years with no problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajosryan13 View Post
Thanks for your reply

Why is my tank two small for 5 angels? they're in there 2.5 years with no problems

Too small

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
I second @houseofcards comments about the non-necessity of root tabs and the necessity of adding nutrients to the water column. there are several studies, here on TPT, that support this. Take a look at these:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8-...er-column.html

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/33...t-fiction.html

Do the good basics: make sure your light is the right amount for your CO2 levels and make sure your nutrients aren't limited.

I can't tell what your light levels are (PAR values) so, can't tell if you have the right amount of light. It doesn't appear that you are injecting CO2, so lower light levels are best.

If it were me, I'd get a few basic test kits: nitrate, phosphate and GH. Each about $10-$15. My favorites are the Salifert nitrate test kit and the API phosphate and GH kits. Those will tell you if some of the key macro nutrients are sufficient. Then, as houseofcards mentioned, you will know how much more to add. One macro that is certainly required, and which you are not dosing, is potassium, which does not come from fish waste. Traces/micros are also needed and are dosed separately.

For a novice, a good way to go is to use Seachem's product line, which are available on Amazon and, usually, at your LFS. Just follow the directions.
No Co2 and I know about my lights is there between 1.5 and 2 watts per gallon from what I can tell

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-04-2018 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 11:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajosryan13 View Post
No Co2 and I know about my lights is there between 1.5 and 2 watts per gallon from what I can tell

Watts aren't a good way to measure light for photosynthesis purposes. It was, though, before we understood and could easily measure PAR and PUR values.
pajosryan13 and pajosryan13 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode