A problem not often mentioned? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A problem not often mentioned?

I've been having a running battle with one small anubia that just seemed unwilling to do right nor to die! I appeared to be suffering from some form of nutrient deficiency as it seemed to have things that led me down that path. It was only about 6" tall and a couple leaves when I got it and then as the leaves grew they seemed rather pale for what I expected and after they reached full size they began to get small black dots which grew in size and number. Looked a lot like some type of black algae but could not be scraped off. Given time the black spots decayed and fell out to make holes and the leaf would become nothing but a see-through web. So I have run through about all the ferts, changing this, adding more of that and asking on forums for other ideas of what I might do to or for this plant. I gave up several times and then decided to wait another day until finally I did decide it was time to go radical.
So I cut all the leaves off except for one which had just peaked out and not unfolded yet. Live or die type move?
That one little leaf shot up unfolded and grew too tall for the ten gallon so that it suffered from the light and dry air but meanwhile a second leaf came on and they are both bigger and better than ever! Except for the dry one, of course. but now after about a month, neither has black spots nor are they dying. Meanwhile the rest of the plants in the tank, Java moss, Java fern, narrow leaf sag, all seem totally unfazed by any of the changes, good or bad.
So what is the word on this now? Some disease like blight that was removed when I trimmed all the leaves and spots away?
I see lots of talk about nutrients but what about disease?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 05:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to StrungOut
Not many know too much about anubia disease. I know one person on here that studies that.

Apart from that i don't think its a disease but rather if you get a small stunted stem or you split a small plant too early it never really takes off. It either doesn't have the energy to or not strong enough. This is my opinion on this. I've seen it, if a plant is small/rather tiny and stunted as well, they never take off, force a sideshoot or die/melt off....this is still just my opinion and i wanted for you at least to have one answer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
Not many know too much about anubia disease. I know one person on here that studies that.

Apart from that i don't think its a disease but rather if you get a small stunted stem or you split a small plant too early it never really takes off. It either doesn't have the energy to or not strong enough. This is my opinion on this. I've seen it, if a plant is small/rather tiny and stunted as well, they never take off, force a sideshoot or die/melt off....this is still just my opinion and i wanted for you at least to have one answer.
Thanks for the info. That does certainly sounds much like what I have seen. Someway this plant just never got going. My big mistake was wasting a fair amount of time and effort watching something that I was assuming to be nutrient related instead of waking to the possibility of it being disease. Gardening shows lots of disease so I should have been more aware.
I decided to quit on this plant several times but maybe it was meant to be part of my learning curve ?
I'm still watching but at this point I will have to move the plant to a deeper tank to avoid the leaves popping too high and drying/burning. But for right now, it seems to be happy. I'm still pretty surprised at the "cure" being to cut off most of the leaves! I don't often think of that as the way to save a plant.
Now I can do some reads on anubia disease , etc. so thanks again!
StrungOut and StrungOut like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode