2Likes
  • 4 Post By dzega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA Aquasoil Planted Tank KH/GH 0

Hi,

I have a similar thread on another forum, but since this is the planted tank, i figured it would be good to ask here in regards to other people's experience relating to ADA Aquasoil and water parameters. The tank originally has been setup for 4 years. I bleached everything down as I had quite an extensive black beard algae problem and decided to just scrap everything, redo my hardscape and go full planted. The only thing that was saved from the old setup that wasn't thoroughly washed down was the filter/media(aquaclear 70) in order to quickly establish bacteria in the new setup. Aquarium is a 55g, it has a hydor koralia 240 for a bit of water agitation, aquaclear 70 on the right and soon to be an eheim 4+ 350 with the spraybar for more water agitation on the left(just waiting for tubing to arrive). Hard scape is a large Eucalyptus root, 3 pieces of malaysian driftwood and 20 pounds of Dragon Rock(ohko stone) and 4.5x 9L bags of ada aquasoil.

So it goes as follows. I setup my tank with hardscape on the 9th, and then planted it the next day. Ammonia of course spiked per usual for ADA soil up to 4-5ppm, PH= 7.4, nitrites = 0, Nitrates = ~40. Have been doing daily 50% water changes for the first week and now im doing them every other day. Ammonia today is down to about .5. Now my questions is as follows, when the soil is done its own cycle and leeching of ammonia, what should i do about my GH, KH and PH? Out of tap my parameters are as follows:

Out of Tap
GH - between 120-180
KH - between 80-120
PH - 7.5

In aquarium with ada soil
GH - 0
KH - 0
PH - 6

My stocking plan will be 2 mystery snails, 20 cardinal tetras, Dream Blue Shrimp, 1x Gold Nugget Pleco, 1x albino rainbow shark and 1x rainbow shark(had these in my last setup with similar stocking which had discus and no shrimp and never had any aggresion issues). I will need to get the KH up because i don't want to WC from a tap of 7.4 to a tank that is being buffered quite considerably down to 6. Any similar experiences/suggestions? Should i just let the ammonia go to 0, retest and go from there? Should i buffer with some limestone chips in the HOB to raise my KH and stabilize my PH that way to get it as close to tap again as possible if it doesn't raise at all itself after the soil cycle? For how long will it buffer everything down to 0?

Here is pics of the tank the next day after planting/filling. Thanks again in advance for any help/suggestions/criticisms. If i have left out some pertinent info that is needed please just let me know and i will try to answer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
ADA is going to pull the KH from no matter what you do and drop your pH. You'll fight a losing battle if you try to change that. You need remineralizer to get some GH in there though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 03:56 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
ADA is going to pull the KH from no matter what you do and drop your pH. You'll fight a losing battle if you try to change that. You need remineralizer to get some GH in there though.
Won't the substrate's ability to consume KH eventually become expended? I'm in the same boat as OP-- I also have ADA soil (well, Mr Aqua which I'm told is a rip-off of ADA) with a KH, and i'm worried that once all of the reactant has been consumed my water parameters are going to go haywire. I've been talking myself out of adding some crushed coral to bite this bullet before I stock the tank with animals (and some alder cones to buffer down the ph once the soil has been consumed)

As far as plants are concerned, what should we be aware of with such a low KH? Normally I know PH swings are a big issue with super soft water, but the soil seems to do an extremely good job of buffering the PH (at least, for the time being).

Also, what are some good animals for extremely soft water? I know this soil is designed for Bee Shrimp which love really soft water, but isn't 0 KH too soft?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
It will...but in how long? I've read anything from 6 to 12 months or even longer. Guess when the tank will crash...not a game I really want to play. Maybe there's a way to predict it. Or maybe folks that use these soils just preemptively replace soil along the way. I don't know. I've been bouncing back and force as to whether or not I'm using active soil in my new tank and I just don't know if it's something I want to have to deal with when the time comes so most likely I'm going with something like Eco-Complete.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the only downside of active soil like ADA is its price. if money is not an issue then it is a nobrainer.
you dont need to add anything to alter KH or GH if you use tap water. if you use RO water, add GH booster

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode