I was dosing this "micros" recipe 3x/week:
In 500ml soln where 10ml treats 30 gallon tank:
PPM Grams Source
citric acid 0.45
Fe EDTA .1 42.37 AFMM: CSM+B
Fe Gluc .096 54.6ml Flourish Iron
B .037 .6 H3BO3 (supplement AFMM CSM+B)
Cu .0014 - AFMM: CSM+B
Mn .029 - AFMM: CSM+B
Mo .0008 - AFMM: CSM+B
Ni .0003 .0075 NiSO4.6H2O (10x, sample)
Zn .0057 .38 ZnSO4.H2O
NO3 1.13 - AFMM: KNO3
K 1.74 - AFMM: K2SO4
Mg 0.2 - AFMM: MgSO4
I made this recipe when trying to "make it work" with what I had -- a pound of AFMM which contains CSM+B, according to the AF site. Neither Zorfox nor Rotala Butterfly list B when calculating results of AFMM, so I reverse-engineered that number somehow to tell me to add only 0.6g H3BO3.
I say "10x, sample" for Ni because I don't have a way to accurately measure .0075g of anything. I measure (about) .075, dissolve it in RO water, and add 1/10 of that to my bottle.
I had read quite a bit about the potential inconsistencies about CSM+B, and it had been in the back of my head for some time. Last week, I read this excerpt
which summarized all the other things I've read/thought about it, and it sealed the deal for me:
Originally Posted by Immortal1
... imaging mixing up a dump truck size container of dry nutrients for industrial use. Then, stir it up and scoop out 1 cup of dry mix. And guarantee you have exactly the correct amount of each item. Just can't believe they get it right every time. Yes, the CSM+B has worked better than nothing for many years. But, we can certainly do better.
I completed my collection of micros thanks to @burr740
of course, and this week I started dosing this recipe. I only made 200ml because I really love measuring tiny quantities of Nickel Sulfate Hexahydrate almost as much as I love saying Nickel Sulfate Hexahydrate:
In 200ml soln where 10ml treats 30 gallon tank:
PPM Grams Source
citric acid .45
Fe DTPA .11 2.27 Fe DTPA 11%
Fe Gluc .07 15.9ml Flourish Iron
B .037 .48 Boric acid H3BO3
Cu .0034 .03 CuSO4.5H2O
Mn .051 .356 MnSO4.H2O
Mo .0017 .0097 Na2MoO4.H2O
Ni .0007 .0071 NiSO4.6H2O (10x, sample)
Zn .04 .256 ZnSO4.H2O
I run the same micros in my 3 tanks: a 10 with Landen soil, 20L with Fluval Stratum & too much Seiryu stone, and a 36BF with Flourite black over dirt (soon to be Landen, but the price went up another $4 per bag today).
I was originally trying to get close to one of the many micros recipes that burr threw down because that's the journal I was reading at the time, and I'm impulsive. But I think that was a mistake because I'm using RO water while he uses tap. This time, I looked through this thread and the Share your dosing thread
, and I worked out something closer to fellow RO users @Greggz
/ @Ken Keating1
bottle than a burr bottle.
It's a new start for me (the real reason I only made 200ml). I'm 3 days in, and I haven't killed all of burr's plants yet -- I've only melted a few Lud Reds, and the others are throwing down roots and looking good.
Thanks all of you for sharing your recipes and lessons learned!