The Custom Micro Mix Thread - Page 9 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1880Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 1437 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You mentioned extreme short internodes..
I've got that on my ludwigia right now, not sure if it's normal short cause I just switched lighting and maybe it's brighter.
Pic is attached.

Also, what sort of biomass and lighting levels do you think warrant going up to a daily trace dose?
I'm doing every other day, not incredibly dense planting but I have some massive balls of blyxa I wouldn't be surprised if they took up half of everything that goes in the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171229_141327_1514578436989.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	814673  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171228_152933_1514578622603.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	814681  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1437 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 08:24 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
Dont really see a problem. Its normal for the newest couple sets of leaves to be closer than the rest. If anything the old growth looks abnormally long. That's probably due to being starved for light. Give it a couple weeks under the new light and see
Greggz and Greggz like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #123 of 1437 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Also, what sort of biomass and lighting levels do you think warrant going up to a daily trace dose?
I'm doing every other day, not incredibly dense planting but I have some massive balls of blyxa I wouldn't be surprised if they took up half of everything that goes in the tank.
I remember your thread full of struggles. How's the tank under Burr's trace regime?

post #124 of 1437 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

@acino

It's doing much better!
I did remove a lot of the struggling species but I still have AR mini and Rotala green and an ammania which have shown improvement.
It's not perfect yet, not sure what else could be wrong but I just got new lighting so maybe I'll see more improvement.

I've got hair algae kinda everywhere now though, it's been a few weeks now. It doesn't really grow or get out of control but it's on everything lol.
Not sure if it's cladophora or something cause it seems to do better the more co2 I use lmao.

Im Dosing 8.35ppm NO3
6.86 ppm K
3.91 ppm po4
Possibly too rich I'm not sure.

post #125 of 1437 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

@burr740

I have a hypothesis for your pearling after ceasing Urea and it might be kinda boring..

Your beneficial bacteria!
We know how much o2 is consumed by the filter, when you reduced their load by stopping the urea there was a surplus of oxygen..
Maybe lol.

post #126 of 1437 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 09:12 PM
Planted Tanker

Quote:
@burr740

I have a hypothesis for your pearling after ceasing Urea and it might be kinda boring..

We know how much o2 is consumed by the filter, when you reduced their load by stopping the urea there was a surplus of oxygen..
Maybe lol.
That's logical but it happened the very first part of the very first day, which wouldnt be time for the bacteria to take a hit. Im pretty sure DMtank nailed it

post #127 of 1437 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 09:25 PM
rs1
Algae Grower

I've been using CSM+B I don't know if I should keep using this any more??
So, are you guys saying that I should get each mic nutrient separately and make my own mix.

If that's the case. Can someone tell me how much of each fert to mix into a 500 mil bottle.

Also, how much ppm would be in say a 10mil dose?

Is there a target ppm for each fert?? We're using?

It seems every body has different totals from the charts that are on this thread.
post #128 of 1437 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 09:27 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1 View Post
I've been using CSM+B I don't know if I should keep using this any more??
So, are you guys saying that I should get each mic nutrient separately and make my own mix.

If that's the case. Can someone tell me how much of each fert to mix into a 500 mil bottle.

Also, how much ppm would be in say a 10mil dose?

Is there a target ppm for each fert?? We're using?

It seems every body has different totals from the charts that are on this thread.
This thing can calculate everything for you:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...er-change.html
post #129 of 1437 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Quote:
@burr740

Maybe lol.
That's logical but it happened the very first part of the very first day, which wouldnt be time for the bacteria to take a hit. Im pretty sure DMtank nailed it
I don't mean they took a hit but rather weren't respirating since they weren't metabolising anything, I'll have to see what DMTank wrote though I must have missed it.

Edit: oh derp he said exactly what I was trying to say "has a higher dissolved oxygen content due to less oxygen being pulled out as your biofilter consumes the Urea."

post #130 of 1437 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 09:45 PM
rs1
Algae Grower

Are you suggesting that we buy each Micro fert separately and make our own mix? I've been using CSM+B
If so, can you provide the mixing info. ie, how much of each fert to be mixed in a 500 mil bottle.
How many ppm in say, a 10 mil dose?
What is the target ppm for each dose?

This info would be used in a 60 gal tank.

From the charts I've looked at every body seems to have different totals.
post #131 of 1437 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
It's been now 2 weeks using the following recipe daily, with nickel added to the mix a few days ago -

Fe - 200 ppb
Mn - 90 ppb
B - 32 ppb
Zn - 60 ppb
Mo - 1.3 ppb
Cu - None, there's a little in my tap, otherwise I'd add around 2 ppb
Ni - .5 ppb
Interesting as always Burr. Tonight I'm mixing up the latest batch you sent which is measured out at .15 Fe, and will start with it next week. As you know I have been steadily upping the dosage for quite a while, and have been dosing it daily for the past month or so.

As I've mentioned, so far no negatives. If global pearling is any indication, then things are going very well. I can definitely say more pearling in my tank than ever before.

So what do you think, should I up it even further? I don't mind experimenting if you want someone else to be pushing these upper limits. Really just amazing the amounts you are dosing compared to where you were really not that long ago (and me too!).

And on a side note, everything recovered from whatever happened when I dosed that Gluc. Still can't figure that one out for sure, but I am pretty sure it had something to do with it.
fablau, fablau, burr740 and 3 others like this.

---
---
post #132 of 1437 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Greg, keep us posted with the new batch. I have been dosing daily for the past 5 days, but so far no improvement... Actually some plants got worse. I will keep doing it and post some pics on my journal soon. Glad to know it has been working for you so far, but in my case, I had probably better success with less dosing (or less Zn?)
post #133 of 1437 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1 View Post
Are you suggesting that we buy each Micro fert separately and make our own mix? I've been using CSM+B

If so, can you provide the mixing info. ie, how much of each fert to be mixed in a 500 mil bottle.

How many ppm in say, a 10 mil dose?

What is the target ppm for each dose?

This info would be used in a 60 gal tank.

From the charts I've looked at every body seems to have different totals.

Take Burr's ppms, then use this calculator to find the compounds and calculate the amounts:

http://Rotalabutterfly.com
post #134 of 1437 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 02:02 AM
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Interesting as always Burr. Tonight I'm mixing up the latest batch you sent which is measured out at .15 Fe, and will start with it next week. As you know I have been steadily upping the dosage for quite a while, and have been dosing it daily for the past month or so.

As I've mentioned, so far no negatives. If global pearling is any indication, then things are going very well. I can definitely say more pearling in my tank than ever before.

So what do you think, should I up it even further? I don't mind experimenting if you want someone else to be pushing these upper limits. Really just amazing the amounts you are dosing compared to where you were really not that long ago (and me too!).

And on a side note, everything recovered from whatever happened when I dosed that Gluc. Still can't figure that one out for sure, but I am pretty sure it had something to do with it.
The new blend has a little more Zn, 50 ppb compared to 30 something in the old. Maybe try it at the same daily .15 ppm Fe dose you're doing now for a couple of weeks and see if you notice a change.

Then if you're feeling frisky you can always try dosing more and see what happens.

post #135 of 1437 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Finally filled out that Spreadsheet.

Any advice/input?
Should I up dosing on Traces from 3x a week?
How would I know if I should be adding K via K2SO4?

edit: I was using Equilibrium for a few weeks but never saw any changes so I've been off if for two weeks, my tap presumably has enough of that stuff.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode