The Custom Micro Mix Thread - Page 86 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1807Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1276 of 1390 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Are you using and heating distilled water? I have only used distilled water for my micros with 30ish mL of distilled vinegar and so far no issues. Three or four batches to date.
I'm using RODI water with 0 TDS. It appears the mold issue varies throughout the seasons. For some reason I had mold on top of the solution in December, but I've never had it previously.
Grobbins48 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1277 of 1390 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:54 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Potassium sorbate is good if you have a stubborn mold problem, .25 gm per 500 ml

post #1278 of 1390 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
Also, I've been heating the solution water up to 175 degrees with an electric kettle, pour it into the solution bottle, and then add the ingredients. All items dissolve within a few minutes.
I have always heated mine as when I first started doing the dry ferts I found the macros never wanted to mix well, so figured near boiling water ought to do the trick and it's something I've done since.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Ken Keating1 likes this.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #1279 of 1390 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Potassium sorbate is good if you have a stubborn mold problem, .25 gm per 500 ml
Funny, I purchase potassium sorbate and citrus acid with the plans on using it, but because of the shipping time I used the 40ml of vinegar and it's working. I plan on experimenting with the potassium sorbate and citrus acid with the next batch and see what happens.

post #1280 of 1390 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:10 AM
Planted Member

Here's what I am currently dosing. What do you think about my levels? I'm personally seeing good growth, but being in planted tanks for 6 months, I am not 100% sure my growth is the best it can be.

https://flic.kr/p/2dXBQ9B
post #1281 of 1390 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 07:48 AM
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwilly07 View Post
Here's what I am currently dosing. What do you think about my levels? I'm personally seeing good growth, but being in planted tanks for 6 months, I am not 100% sure my growth is the best it can be.

https://flic.kr/p/2dXBQ9B
The best advice you're gonna get will come from the plants. If everything is looking good there's no need to mess with it.

But just off hand looking at the numbers I'd say you could do with less K. Something closer to NO3 levels works much better in mine

And you may not need the GH booster if Im reading correctly, your tap has a GH of 10? Any idea how much is Mg and how much is Ca, like a city's water quality report or something?

Hard to say obviously but if 10 is correct that's surely enough Ca, might need an extra 5 Mg or so per week. That's *probably" the most likely scenario

Micros look fine

Again this is all from just looking on paper. If your plants are happy just keep doing what you're doing

post #1282 of 1390 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
And you may not need the GH booster if Im reading correctly, your tap has a GH of 10? Any idea how much is Mg and how much is Ca, like a city's water quality report or something?

Hard to say obviously but if 10 is correct that's surely enough Ca, might need an extra 5 Mg or so per week. That's *probably" the most likely scenario
I'll second this!

@Pwilly07
My tap has a gH of 17 degrees, of which 15-16 degrees is Ca according to my municipal water report + API Ca test "confirmed" this for me.

After mixing tap + RO water, my plants were showing deficiencies, but my gH was roughly 8 degrees so I never thought about gH boosting. Only after I realizes my gH was basically all Ca I gave the tank a big shot of Mg and within a week I could see huge improvements. I continue to dose higher Mg to this day -- in the 2.3:1 range of Ca:Mg ppm .. or 35ppm Ca : 15 ppm Mg.
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #1283 of 1390 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Quote:
Funny, I purchase potassium sorbate and citrus acid with the plans on using it, but because of the shipping time I used the 40ml of vinegar and it's working. I plan on experimenting with the potassium sorbate and citrus acid with the next batch and see what happens.
I'm using Potassium Sorbate and Ascorbic Acid per @burr740's advice and they're working great.

Planted S. Am. Waterbox 190 (141G dispaly w/sump & stand)
{new - in progress }
post #1284 of 1390 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Introducing Upgraded CSM+B / Trace Mix
Traditional CSM+B and Trace Mix by Plant-Prod available at GLA can be Upgraded for use with aquatic plants by adding ZnSO4 and NiSO4. Present chelates will preserve additional Zn and Ni from oxidizing allowing longer bioavailability.

Upgraded CSM+B / Trace Mix
1 ml / 10 gallon or 40 L, 0.1 ppm Fe(TE)
250 ml
14.2900 g CSM+B / Trace Mix
00.6300 g ZnSO4
00.0045 g NiSO4

ppm
0.10000 Fe
0.02860 Mn
0.01860 B
0.02000 Zn
0.00086 Mo
0.00142 Cu
0.00010 Ni

burr740 and Maryland Guppy like this.

Last edited by Edward; 08-27-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: link
post #1285 of 1390 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid-140 View Post
I'm using Potassium Sorbate and Ascorbic Acid per @burr740's advice and they're working great.
How many grams of Ascorbic Acid are folks using in their solutions, and what's the solution size?

post #1286 of 1390 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
How many grams of Ascorbic Acid are folks using in their solutions, and what's the solution size?
@burr740 gave me

Ascorbic Acid - 0.5g/500ml (Ascorbic Acid/solution volume)
Potassium Sorbate - 0.2g/500ml (Potassium Sorbate/solution volume)

Just this last Saturday I mixed up a 1 liter bottle and used 1g Ascorbic Acid and 0.4g Potassium Sorbate. I'm good till the first of April and my wife can easily dose the tank if I forget before I go to work (and has).

Planted S. Am. Waterbox 190 (141G dispaly w/sump & stand)
{new - in progress }
post #1287 of 1390 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:17 PM
Planted Member

Quote:

The best advice you're gonna get will come from the plants. If everything is looking good there's no need to mess with it.

But just off hand looking at the numbers I'd say you could do with less K. Something closer to NO3 levels works much better in mine

Micros look fine

Again this is all from just looking on paper. If your plants are happy just keep doing what you're doing <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilie/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" >:-)</a>
Thanks for your thoughts!! My kH from my tap is 5 and gH is 7. My kH is 3 and gH is 10 before 50% water change. After adding equilibrium, my kH is 4 and gH is 12. I checked it at least 5 times with same results. I will recheck what my water report says and post later today.
post #1288 of 1390 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Evening All:

Haven't seen much activity here so thought to post my tank parameters today.
Sometimes this creates much enjoyable controversy.

So today I opted to test my large soil capped tank for everything.
Results:
GH = 5, KH = 3.5, Ca = 20ppm, NO2 = 0
It's been almost a year to get KH from 6 to 3.5
Minimal WC's and top off with RODI

NH3 = .25 as it almost always does.
Not sure how to speak to this, once in a great while it is zero.
Almost 2 weeks ago the corner foam was replaced with a previously cleaned piece.
Tank has never been cycled and foam is bleach & H2O2 treated every time it is removed.

NO3 < 10ppm & PO4 = .75ppm , TDS = 119
After a 1.5x dose of EI macros TDS was @ 131 several hours after dose.
4th macro dose in the last 8 days.

TDS did not warrant a WC so as usual skipped, but topped off.

Micros with Fe being an indicator measured .3ppm today.
Every 3-4 days I dose .3ppm based on the Fe.
Wait two days for a micro dose IMO.
Having two mixes of micros that I never correctly labeled it's a crap shoot.
One is modified CSM+B and the other a complete home brew version.
The quart bottles are getting low so new mixes very soon, hoping I saved the recipe in my Excel sheet.

Phish are still doing very well.
12 Corys, 8 rasboras, and 2 lonely flame tetras.
I only feed every other day or so, alternating between high end pelleted sinking food, filthy frozen cubes, and an occasional sprinkle of flakes.
Sometimes the treat of smashing the snails on the glass with a plastic button.
Greggz, burr740, Immortal1 and 1 others like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #1289 of 1390 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:25 AM
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Evening All:

Haven't seen much activity here so thought to post my tank parameters today.
Sometimes this creates much enjoyable controversy.

So today I opted to test my large soil capped tank for everything.
Results:
GH = 5, KH = 3.5, Ca = 20ppm, NO2 = 0
It's been almost a year to get KH from 6 to 3.5
Minimal WC's and top off with RODI

NH3 = .25 as it almost always does.
Not sure how to speak to this, once in a great while it is zero.
Almost 2 weeks ago the corner foam was replaced with a previously cleaned piece.
Tank has never been cycled and foam is bleach & H2O2 treated every time it is removed.

NO3 < 10ppm & PO4 = .75ppm , TDS = 119
After a 1.5x dose of EI macros TDS was @ 131 several hours after dose.
4th macro dose in the last 8 days.

TDS did not warrant a WC so as usual skipped, but topped off.

Micros with Fe being an indicator measured .3ppm today.
Every 3-4 days I dose .3ppm based on the Fe.
Wait two days for a micro dose IMO.
Having two mixes of micros that I never correctly labeled it's a crap shoot.
One is modified CSM+B and the other a complete home brew version.
The quart bottles are getting low so new mixes very soon, hoping I saved the recipe in my Excel sheet.

Phish are still doing very well.
12 Corys, 8 rasboras, and 2 lonely flame tetras.
I only feed every other day or so, alternating between high end pelleted sinking food, filthy frozen cubes, and an occasional sprinkle of flakes.
Sometimes the treat of smashing the snails on the glass with a plastic button.

Very interesting. How low is Fe when you decide to dose again? Do you try to keep it .3 all the time or wait until it gets to a certain low point?

post #1290 of 1390 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Very interesting. How low is Fe when you decide to dose again? Do you try to keep it .3 all the time or wait until it gets to a certain low point?
Based on testing with a Hanna checker I dose every 3-4 days.
My intent is to maintain .3ppm water column at all times.
We all know a day goes by or we forget but WTH as long as I dose all is good.
Occasionally a test may show .1ppm and I tend to over indulge for the next dose.

My real issue is macros which for me seems to drop low in a moments notice.
I can't say I'm nitrogen deprived but @ times it's close.
Nitrogen deprivation has never been my goal mind you, not like some.
I have never wished to deprive plants of macros but sometimes life get in the way.
Greggz, burr740 and Immortal1 like this.

Growing is not that difficult.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode