The Custom Micro Mix Thread - Page 80 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1777Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1186 of 1375 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Did you dose the urea on top of the usual NO3 doses?

Your soil substrate is going to explode one day, you know that.
Urea was on top of normal macro mix.

As I dose this eve I've placed a fire extinguisher near the tank.
I'm on the ready for spontaneous combustion!
What am I thinking it's already submerged???
There are are no oxidizers involved like strontium nitrate so no ignition under water.

All joking aside @Edward I think the soil is now depleted.
18 months and with the quantity of plants I've grown in this short time, not too concerned.

Lowering of KH is of primary concern right now.
Raising the PAR is in the near future!
Edward, Greggz, Immortal1 and 2 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1187 of 1375 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Gregg I am sorry, I often forget people donít share the same sense of humor, it is my fault. I like to make conversations more colorful by pushing silly comments to get them to respond more openly, thatís all, no disrespect intended.
Edward no problem. I've just returned from back to back trips and might have taken it wrong.

After reviewing it, I edited my post. Hopefully it better illustrates what I was getting at.
fablau likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------
post #1188 of 1375 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

This seems to always happen.
I post some parameters/discoveries of my capped soil tank and everything gets quiet?
Some of us just march to the beat of a different drummer I suppose???
Greggz, Immortal1 and varanidguy like this.

post #1189 of 1375 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
This seems to always happen.
I post some parameters/discoveries of my capped soil tank and everything gets quiet?
Some of us just march to the beat of a different drummer I suppose???
MG since you don't keep up your journal over here, I don't think many know what you are up to.

I know I associate posters with their tanks, as I have seen pictures of them on a regular basis, and I can follow along and see how things progress.

Personally I find your set up very interesting. DIY LED's, capped dirt, unique dosing schedule, very few water changes, very few Phish, etc.

But more importantly, you can really grow plants. There are some here who post quite often and I am not even sure they actually have a tank or grow any plants. Since you rarely post pics here I would guess that most probably don't know about the farm you have going there.

As we have discussed, our tanks are very, very different. Some plants I can't grow in my tank are monsters in yours, and some that I grow easily you can't keep. I know there are lessons there, just not entirely certain what they are?

------------------

Last edited by Greggz; 11-17-2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typo
post #1190 of 1375 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Got a question for the active participants. 11 months and nearly 1200 posts into this endeavor, if you had to pick between CSM+B and Miller's which would you go for, why, and at what rate? If neither, why not?

Planted S. Am. Waterbox 190 (141G dispaly w/sump & stand)
{new - in progress }
post #1191 of 1375 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 02:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid-140 View Post
Got a question for the active participants. 11 months and nearly 1200 posts into this endeavor, if you had to pick between CSM+B and Miller's which would you go for, why, and at what rate? If neither, why not?

I chose CSM+B because Microplex has a lot more copper. Didnít want to risk inverts or scaleless fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #1192 of 1375 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

@Greggz I have fully embraced the fact that I cannot grow some species.
Thank You for the compliment by the way!

The very slow process of dropping the KH has been this years task.
To not disturb any plants is the reason for the slow method.
When I reach a KH of 1 maybe I try a few new species.
In the mean time only keeping the premium growers.
This avoids transitioning, rotting leaves, fowling water, etc...
No more experiments.

Yeah I guess my journal could use a few pics and an update here.
Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

post #1193 of 1375 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 03:34 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:

The very slow process of dropping the KH has been this years task.
To not disturb any plants is the reason for the slow method.
When I reach a KH of 1 maybe I try a few new species.
No more experiments.

Something I have learned is there are certain plants that simply won't grow in my 8dKH tap water. So I can understand your desire to lower the KH and try some different plants.

And yes, a few pics and an update would be nice :-)
Greggz and Maryland Guppy like this.

post #1194 of 1375 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Something I have learned is there are certain plants that simply won't grow in my 8dKH tap water. So I can understand your desire to lower the KH and try some different plants.

And yes, a few pics and an update would be nice :-)

Personally I find that very frustrating lol. For instance, Iíve been trying to get ludwigia repens to grow well for me for a year. The tops usually look great while the lower 60% of the plants look terrible, I just canít get the stuff to grow well. I added some alternanthera reineckii lilacina about a month ago and itís doing great. Converted from emersed quickly, the new growth is beautiful, no algae on the plants....but the L repens thatís said to be much easier is crap....

Greggz likes this.

post #1195 of 1375 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
My pleasure MG! We have that in common.

Quote:
No more experiments.
Now some who don't know you might believe this, but I know better!

Quote:
Way overdue................and don't even get me started on the fruit stand!
Maryland Guppy and ChrisX like this.

------------------
post #1196 of 1375 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
@varanidguy - I have a couple types of ludwigia in my tank and have experienced similar issues. For me, it seems when my ferts (macro or micro) are off, I get those issues. I think of it this way, the plant pulls food from the lower leaves in order for the newer leaves to prosper. So, that would lead one to think it is a "mobile" nutrient issue - the question is which one?

As of late I have been dosing a little higher level of macros and, compared to several months ago, a much higher level of micros. I guess in my case, I was not trying to figure out exactly "which" was an issue, just give em more of everything. Right or wrong, my L. Repens and L. Atlantis are growing stems atleast 12" tall and the bottom leaves are still attached. They may not look as nice as the top leaves, but they are still there.

With your AR lilacina (I don't have / know this plant), my guess is what ever you may be deficient on is not so bad that it effects everything.
varanidguy likes this.

post #1197 of 1375 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
@varanidguy - I have a couple types of ludwigia in my tank and have experienced similar issues. For me, it seems when my ferts (macro or micro) are off, I get those issues. I think of it this way, the plant pulls food from the lower leaves in order for the newer leaves to prosper. So, that would lead one to think it is a "mobile" nutrient issue - the question is which one?

As of late I have been dosing a little higher level of macros and, compared to several months ago, a much higher level of micros. I guess in my case, I was not trying to figure out exactly "which" was an issue, just give em more of everything. Right or wrong, my L. Repens and L. Atlantis are growing stems atleast 12" tall and the bottom leaves are still attached. They may not look as nice as the top leaves, but they are still there.

With your AR lilacina (I don't have / know this plant), my guess is what ever you may be deficient on is not so bad that it effects everything.

Thatís very good to know for future reference! I finally got into the dry ferts game a week ago and trying out front loading macros and daily dosing micros following the Rotala Butterfly calculator.

Truth be told I gave up on the L repens and tore it all out today. The stems themselves were thick but the leaves would always turn shabby and shed. Adding more light seemed to help but it didnít fix it. Replacing it with some pogostemon yatabeanus that should arrive on Monday from Bartohog. The plants seem to be responding well so far to the dosing regimen over all.

Sorry for the bubbly picture, just performed the water change. The stems of the AR lilacina are even growing new leaves rather than melting, but it seems kind of sparse, so once they grow a lot taller, I plan to top them, remove the bottoms, and replant the tops.

Greggz, fablau and Immortal1 like this.

post #1198 of 1375 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
That’s very good to know for future reference! I finally got into the dry ferts game a week ago and trying out front loading macros and daily dosing micros following the Rotala Butterfly calculator.

I reciently got this from @burr740:

Quote:
Ca, Mg and K are fine to front load 100% after a weekly water change
He didn't mention NO3 or PO4. I didn't ask why. If you're front loading them you might want to.

Truth be told I gave up on the L repens and tore it all out today. The stems themselves were thick but the leaves would always turn shabby and shed. Adding more light seemed to help but it didn’t fix it. Replacing it with some pogostemon yatabeanus that should arrive on Monday from Bartohog. The plants seem to be responding well so far to the dosing regimen over all.

Sorry for the bubbly picture, just performed the water change. The stems of the AR lilacina are even growing new leaves rather than melting, but it seems kind of sparse, so once they grow a lot taller, I plan to top them, remove the bottoms, and replant the tops.

See Highlight in quote.

{new - in progress }
post #1199 of 1375 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:51 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (120/100%)
I only mentioned those 3 because that what you'd asked about with regards to GH booster (I think)

NO3 and PO4 also work well front loaded
Greggz, varanidguy and Cichlid-140 like this.

post #1200 of 1375 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
I only mentioned those 3 because that what you'd asked about with regards to GH booster (I think)

NO3 and PO4 also work well front loaded
It was for front loading K & Mg in my DIY APT Complete (ala. Dennis Wong). I wasn't sure but it seems I recalled Tom Barr making a comment (long in the past) about NO3 not being a great candidate for some reason. Might not have been him and I might be mistaken altogether.

Thanks for making it clear.

{new - in progress }

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode