warning for osmocote peoples - Page 7 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 06:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Okay, so I know that I'm new to this and all, but I just read through this thread from begining to end and I'm not sure if I should use Osmocote+ as I was planning on doing, or if I should go with another fert like flourish tabs. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
IMO osmocote is fine - just don't overload it. I used a liberal amount of it under my substrate when I set up my tank (I think burr did the same thing) and things are fine right now.

I also use the pellets and push them in one by one - don't bother with the gel cap root tabs IMO. They will just tend to float up and try to get out of your substrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (120/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
IMO osmocote is fine - just don't overload it. I used a liberal amount of it under my substrate when I set up my tank (I think burr did the same thing) and things are fine right now.
Yep

post #94 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
don't bother with the gel cap root tabs IMO. They will just tend to float up and try to get out of your substrate.
On this I'll have to disagree. I use them in gel caps and don't have that problem. Just got to make sure you push them in deep.

post #95 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Depended on the substrate... I had eco complete that barely held the caps down but BDBS had no problem. Still don't see why pushing in the individual balls isn't the standard way of using osmocote at root tabs

post #96 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:

I also use the pellets and push them in one by one - don't bother with the gel cap root tabs IMO. They will just tend to float up and try to get out of your substrate.
How much is too much? I'm about to put some gelcaps in my 38-gallon -- 12x36 footprint, pretty heavily planted.
post #97 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by end3r.P View Post
How much is too much? I'm about to put some gelcaps in my 38-gallon -- 12x36 footprint, pretty heavily planted.
If your using gel caps press them in under your heavy root feeders.

post #98 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
If your using gel caps press them in under your heavy root feeders.
Okay. I've read that swords are heavy root feeders. Does that include micro sword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis) and narrow leaf chain sword (Echinoderms tennellus)? How about chilensis, ludwigia, wisteria, rotala indica, myrio green, or moneywort? Is there a rule of thumb to follow for which tend to feed more through their roots? (I'm guessing the stem plants are lighter root feeders...)
post #99 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Some root tabs have ammonium in it which is a toxic if it gets into your water column. Seachem don't have it in their root tabs.
post #100 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 11:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by end3r.P View Post
Okay. I've read that swords are heavy root feeders. Does that include micro sword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis) and narrow leaf chain sword (Echinoderms tennellus)? How about chilensis, ludwigia, wisteria, rotala indica, myrio green, or moneywort? Is there a rule of thumb to follow for which tend to feed more through their roots? (I'm guessing the stem plants are lighter root feeders...)
Most stems that I'm aware of are water column feeders and just use their roots as anchorage. The swords for sure are heavy root feeders, crypts are as well, I would also assume micro swords. You could always start a new thread and ask how best to provide nutrients for your specific plants, some of yours I recognize, others not so much, I'm most familiar with those I keep and I learn about any new ones I get as I get them, but can't never remember names. There's also the plant profiles data base on this site, the link can be found on the very top navigation bar on any of this sites page.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

post #101 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer View Post
True story. I had some issues in my 10g with Osmocote (not buried deep enough), sand, and trumpet snails.

But...I've never tested anything as extreme as you. Are you sure there weren't other factors? Is this a new tank?

Still love the stuff though. I put it below 1" of peat and 2" of Flourite in my 40g and it is working out great. Shrimp and otos happy, healthy.
did ur trumpet snails die?
post #102 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:36 AM
Algae Grower

I am going to use one capsule of osmocote, I have ramshorn snails, I plan to bury it deep under my sword plant. Any ideas that it might kill off the snails? I'd hate for that to happen

Red and blue ramshorns
Purple bettas
Endlers
Shakespeare, Spanish language learner, Indonesian language learner, Russian language learner
Marvel Comics
Cleveland Sports
post #103 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:31 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (120/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterSoldier. View Post
I am going to use one capsule of osmocote, I have ramshorn snails, I plan to bury it deep under my sword plant. Any ideas that it might kill off the snails? I'd hate for that to happen
Its never killed mine

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode