C02 help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
C02 help

Iím still learning when it comes to c02 and wasnít wondering if Iím doing anything wrong and what I should be doing. Right now I just have a diy 2 litter with the line coming down and into the tank with a fluval c02 diffuser at the end. I feel like Iím suppose to be Running something in between also I keep seeing stuff about a bubble counter which Iím assuming is a way of keeping track of the level is it crucial? Is there a certain level thatís not healthy to the plants and levels that are helpful in growth and overall plant health.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
A bubble counter just helps you gage the rate of CO2 going into the tank. It doesn't tell you how much you have. You figure that out other ways.

You probably can't (with reasonable normal methods) put too much CO2 into the tank to hurt the plants. It is easy to put too much CO2 into the water for fish, shrimp, or other livestock you might have.

I assume your next question is going to be how you know how much CO2 you have. There are 3 ways that I can think of.
1. You can buy a test kit. LaMotte makes one. It is expensive though. Most people don't do this.
2. You can use a drop checker. It uses an indicator solution to tell you if you have the right amount, too much or too little. The problem with this method is that there is a time lag in the change of the indicator solution. Search "drop checker" on this forum. There will be a zillion posts.
3. Use the pH/KH table to estimate the amount of CO2. To do this your test your water's pH and KH. Then you use one of THESE tables to tell you how much CO2 you have. In the green area is good. The problem with this method is that it is just an estimate. There are other things that can be in your water that will affect your pH. Start on the low side and move to the green area slowly if you have livestock.

Back to the bubble counter. So if one of these methods tells you you have too little CO2, you would increase the number of bubbles per second. Again, that bubble counter is just a gage of rate. If you use a diffuser in your tank with bubbles coming out, you can see the change when you increase or decrease the CO2 flow and probably don't need a bubble counter.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
In my DIY setup I take the diffuser out a couple hours before the lights go out and put it in a cup of tank water for the night. In the early morning before any lights come on I put it back in wedged under the filter intake. Get yourself the drop checker and monitor for a while to get the bubble rate right if your using the bubble counter. I doubt any DIY yeast reactor is gonna kill any fish though. I feel like it would just explode first.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Ugh... I completely missed that you had a yeast system. Yeah, you're not going to kill any fish with that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode