Moving to an RO mix - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Moving to an RO mix

My water here is rock. Even the water company suggests water softeners for our region to preserve appliances. To put it into perspective, I have to chisel the mineral deposits from my Rabbit's water bowl that build at the water line from time to time because it's quite literally a band of rock. (Started giving him bottled water, btw.)

So I felt bad for my plants and fish after reading about hard water here, and started to add RO water when changing water. To begin with, my GH=21, KH=13, and Ph=8 (always, day, night, even with CO2). I've been slowly adding RO water and now sit at GH=15, KH=9 and Ph=7. But I tested the Ph during lights out and it was creeping back up to 8. Can't be good for the fish, right? Is it normal for the Ph to do that when the CO2 is off during lights out?

As of now, my RO mix is 75% RO and 25% tap water, which puts my mixture at GH=5, KH=4 and Ph=7.

Photo of my tank, sorry.. battling BBA at the moment. I've added some new Philips 6500K T5 24W HO (x2) lamps that brought on the problem. Investing in a new CO2 tank and regulator because my present rig is full throttle and only delivering about 20ppm. My tank is in my signature.

Bump: You can see the deposits at the waterline in this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1336.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	809722  

Eheim 175 L (46 gal) tall tank
Eheim pro 4+ 250 filter
2 - T5 24w 6500k Philips daylight
CO2 and EI dosing

Last edited by Hypoxic; 12-08-2017 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

pH swings will occur when your CO2 is turned off because CO2 reacts with water to form carbonates which drop the pH of your water. Turn off the CO2 and the pH will rise again. Remember that pH is a log scale so 7 to 8 is a 10 fold more hydroxide anions. Just keep an eye on the health of your fish to make sure they're not struggling.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, normal for pH to change between lights on/off - mine does it even without CO2. I wouldn't go any more dilute on your mix - having some kh is important for stabilising ph.

As an aside - white vinegar works wonders for cleaning deposits off water bowls, also works on litter trays too. Much easier than trying to scrub/chip it off.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, I just wanted to update what's been going on with this. Since adding RO water, my Numbers have settled at; GH=13, KH=8 and today my Ph was at about 6.5, which brings up a question. I've changed out my 500g CO2 disposable bottle for a 2kg bottle and regulator. So now I'm not limited by the valve that was runnung the CO2 before. Fully open it would only give me about 20ppm of CO2, if I was lucky. With my new rig, I can push it further, but my Ph is also dropping.

How far do you guys push your Ph when injecting CO2? My drop checker is lighter but nowhere near lime green. I'm also off the mark when looking at my Ph/Kh chart.

Eheim 175 L (46 gal) tall tank
Eheim pro 4+ 250 filter
2 - T5 24w 6500k Philips daylight
CO2 and EI dosing
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxic View Post
So, I just wanted to update what's been going on with this. Since adding RO water, my Numbers have settled at; GH=13, KH=8 and today my Ph was at about 6.5, which brings up a question. I've changed out my 500g CO2 disposable bottle for a 2kg bottle and regulator. So now I'm not limited by the valve that was runnung the CO2 before. Fully open it would only give me about 20ppm of CO2, if I was lucky. With my new rig, I can push it further, but my Ph is also dropping.

How far do you guys push your Ph when injecting CO2? My drop checker is lighter but nowhere near lime green. I'm also off the mark when looking at my Ph/Kh chart.
I run enough co2 to bring my ph down 1.0. For my tank that keeps me at 5.7, no issues.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode