3Likes
  • 2 Post By ILikeRice
  • 4 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry Fertz Help

So I am finally ready to jump into the world of Dry ferts, and stop spending insane money on liquid ferts. Everyone says that dry ferts are the way to go, so Im hoping someone very knowledgeable on the subject, can point me in the right direction. I have always used Flourish Excel, Flourish, Seachem Iron, and Easy Green from Aquarium Co-Op along with Co2. I am setting up my 125gal very soon, and would like to use dry ferts moving forward.

1. Where is the best place to buy dry ferts?
  2. What exactly do I buy? (Im a total beginner that learns very fast)
  3. How often am I dosing?

I have a digital scale, and can weigh out the ferts and create mixing bottles. Im looking to make something like a micro and macro solution that I dose often, but I dont know what Im doing here.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

LiQ~

Somethin fishy goin on here? No, everything's burgery. - Jim Gaffigan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
You can buy from members here or from nilocg :]

I've bought some from burr(Joe), he may still have some for sale :]
LiQuiD SmoKe and LiQuiD SmoKe like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I suggest reading on a dosing method. One of the more common ones is EI (Estimative Index) but there are several others to choose from. Since we all start out green, don't feel bad about any confusion, it's just life! But that is also one of the better parts to the EI method. It goes with the idea that we add a bunch more than the plants need but "reset" by doing a major water change weekly to keep it from going totally too high.
A place to start?
Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator
Plug in the methods and how or what you want and it spits out answers. Answers that may not make sense but does give us a start and then if we do some testing, we may see our tank doesn't quite fit the estimate. That is where I find dry ferts that I don't mix in batches comes in handy. I don't do scales as it is all an estimate, so I find dry ferts using simple cooking teaspoons is "close enough".
I find ordering a starter pack from nilocg and combining with the calculator does a lot to clear my head of all the high tech and let me watch the fish and plants better. Even if you never find you need all the parts of the starter pack, the dry ferts are cheap enough to not worry the part that I find later I don't need. Dry ferts are great for storing and I find it simple enough to just measure out a bit of dry into a cup of my own water, stir it and pour it! Macros one day, micros another and change water on the seventh day---more or less, that is.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRice View Post
You can buy from members here or from nilocg :]

I've bought some from burr(Joe), he may still have some for sale :]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I suggest reading on a dosing method. One of the more common ones is EI (Estimative Index) but there are several others to choose from. Since we all start out green, don't feel bad about any confusion, it's just life! But that is also one of the better parts to the EI method. It goes with the idea that we add a bunch more than the plants need but "reset" by doing a major water change weekly to keep it from going totally too high.
A place to start?
Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator
Plug in the methods and how or what you want and it spits out answers. Answers that may not make sense but does give us a start and then if we do some testing, we may see our tank doesn't quite fit the estimate. That is where I find dry ferts that I don't mix in batches comes in handy. I don't do scales as it is all an estimate, so I find dry ferts using simple cooking teaspoons is "close enough".
I find ordering a starter pack from nilocg and combining with the calculator does a lot to clear my head of all the high tech and let me watch the fish and plants better. Even if you never find you need all the parts of the starter pack, the dry ferts are cheap enough to not worry the part that I find later I don't need. Dry ferts are great for storing and I find it simple enough to just measure out a bit of dry into a cup of my own water, stir it and pour it! Macros one day, micros another and change water on the seventh day---more or less, that is.

Thanks alot for the great feedback. I was looking into the GLA PPS-Pro method as I heard its an easy way to start. I guess I should compare the two styles, and see what works best for me. Both of them involve doing weekly 50% water changes correct? I already do this, so it wouldnt be a problem.

Somethin fishy goin on here? No, everything's burgery. - Jim Gaffigan

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuiD SmoKe View Post
1. Where is the best place to buy dry ferts?
I have bought from GLA and Nilocg. I have had good experiences with them both. Nilcog has mentioned a Black Friday sale coming up. Might be good to get on his mailing list and save a few %. I don't think you will be disappointed with either shop.

Quote:
2. What exactly do I buy? (Im a total beginner that learns very fast)
Idea #1
I have mostly only done the EI method. As you fiddle with your levels you might find that you want to try some different things, but starter items would be:
KNO3
K2SO4
KH2PO4
CSM+B
FE DPTA

Optional Items
GH Booster if your GH is low
Iron Gluconate if you want to try different iron recipes
Mn because some people dose this extra and have good results
MgSO4- available from any store as Epsom salts. I need additional Mg in my tank above and beyond the GH booster. You might not need this.

Idea #2
I wanted to try Nilocg's premade ferts just for fun. I know they are liquid, but they are much more concentrated than Seachem products. I have a small tank now. I know not as economical for you, but might be easier to get started with. They are all dosed 1 squirt per 10 gallons. (I think)
Macros
Micros
Iron

Quote:
3. How often am I dosing?
For both you usually dose 3 times a week with a 50% water change once a week. Your methods may vary.

Good luck. Going high tech and learning about dosing can be very frustrating because everyone's tank is a little different. You'll get it though.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There's a really good page all about dosing on Colin's site here

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Thanks alot for the great feedback. I was looking into the GLA PPS-Pro method as I heard its an easy way to start. I guess I should compare the two styles, and see what works best for me. Both of them involve doing weekly 50% water changes correct? I already do this, so it wouldnt be a problem.
PPS-PRO dosent have any suggested water change amounts as far as I know, on the main PPS-PRO site they infer that you can get away without doing any water changes at all. If you are already doing weekly 50% water changes you might as well go with EI, it takes the guess work out of everything.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks
Colin
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
PPS-PRO dosent have any suggested water change amounts as far as I know, on the main PPS-PRO site they infer that you can get away without doing any water changes at all. If you are already doing weekly 50% water changes you might as well go with EI, it takes the guess work out of everything.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks
Colin
Thank you for the reply Colin. Im honestly unfamiliar with both practices, as I still need to read up more on it. Can you explain both practices to me, or point me in a good direction that lays out both methods for noobies? Would greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: Just read through your dosing guide on your site Colin, and will be spending the rest of my work day on your site now, trying to learn more! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFC View Post
There's a really good page all about dosing on Colin's site here
Thank you!

Last edited by LiQuiD SmoKe; 11-29-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: update

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode