Kevin Novak: Anoxic Filtration - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 01:20 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
It's funny because the late Takashi Amano, Oliver Knott and many other "names" in the planted tank world are far from scientists and I think their tanks look pretty good, much better than Dr. "I Found The Secret to Planted Aquaria"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoaqaurist View Post
Well ... yes and no. I have two PhD's and still struggle in less than mediocrity. Then on the other hand. I spend 9 out 12 months in the hospital and my tanks go uncared for; then I come back to clean up the mess I left behind.
I'm not sure what your getting at. The people mentioned in the above are not Doctors. If you lifestyle keeps you away from your tank then most setup will suffer no matter who you are. You can have a tank without issue,but it would be extremely limited by light, plant types and lifestock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 05:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
I'm not sure what your getting at.
I'm sorry, I forgot where I was going ... lol
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 06:32 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
I'm sorry, I forgot where I was going ... lol
No problem, I was trying to figure it out and wanted to make sure I was OK, LOL

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Haha! That is really funny. I have to say as a horticulturist who worked in plant records at a botanical garden the mispronunciation of plant names (and fish names) drives me a bit crazy sometimes. I know botanical latin is difficult and even I am not always sure of the correct way to pronounce some plants but people don't even try and start switching letters back and forth. Or worse yet they apologize for mispronouncing something 30 times in their video. Instead of apologizing do a bit of research and try to say it at least close to correct.

I've thought about making a video about pronouncing plant names but I doubt anyone would watch it and I would probably come off like a snob.

Out of curiousity, Do you tend to go for a more Classical, Ecclesiastical, or "modern" Latin pronunciation?

For example, do you pronounce "ae" as "eye" or "Eh"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyetra8 View Post
BTW: He's deleted all but one of his videos, presumably because he got called out for his latest video straight up chastising folks for using vernacular / common names when discussing species.

He repeatedly told viewers they "sound stupid" when they do things like call a Plecostomus a "pleco". He wasn't joking either. He sounded genuinely angry.

A user commented that if he was going to be a condescending pedant, he should at least pronounce otocinclus properly. And that he sounds stupid. (He was pronouncing it oto-sink-U-lous.)

12 hours later, and all his vids are gone. Coincidence?
To be fair to Novak, I find common names frustrating too (and I'm far from a Dr.). "Black Tetra" could be 12 different species, but Gymnocorymbus ternetzi is only one.
iceburg, Discusluv and Discusluv like this.

-Just a frost bitten Canadian boy.
-I come off as a little....abrupt/blunt. It's not intentional.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 11:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

ae = eye

Can you give me of a word with ae in it that you would pronounce "eh"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

aeon aegis aerie algae... i haven't gotten out of the a's yet?

I don't know if it's quite eh but it's certainly not eyeon eyegis eyerie algeye

I guess you were talking about latin though :O in which case I have no idea.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 05:27 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
ae = eye

Can you give me of a word with ae in it that you would pronounce "eh"?
For the record, I pronounce it "eye" as well (like the y in fly).

From my understanding (and the latin dictionary beside me) the ecclesiastical/ liturgical pronunciation is "eh", or like the a in late or the ay in say; as opposed to the Classical "eye" pronunciation. I've noticed quite a few people pronouncing it this way, for example:

Chaeto(morpha) being pronounced "kay-toe' vs "kigh-toe". And on top of that, people pronouncing ch like Cheeto, but that's a separate thing.

I've also seen it with names like Canidae, even aroideae for some reason. I'm not saying they are pronouncing it correcting, just that specific way.

granted, I'm not a latin scholar, so I very well may off here. Won't be able to take classes until I move, so this is based off the previously mentioned dictionary and a couple papers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post
aeon aegis aerie algae... i haven't gotten out of the a's yet?

I don't know if it's quite eh but it's certainly not eyeon eyegis eyerie algeye

I guess you were talking about latin though :O in which case I have no idea.
This brings up a topic I'm not sure of. People are also pronouncing ae as "ee". For example;

algae pronounced as "al-jee"
Canidae pronounced "kanid-ee"

I wonder if this is some weird americanized pronunciation? Again, not a linguist.

Sorry for turning this thread into a latin thread. I saw latin pronunciation and got a little excited haha.

I digress....
Discusluv and Discusluv like this.

-Just a frost bitten Canadian boy.
-I come off as a little....abrupt/blunt. It's not intentional.

Last edited by Viridis; 03-13-2018 at 05:34 AM. Reason: english spelling
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 11:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

There are so many rules and it gets really complicated so I just try to follow some of the basic ones and if I am unsure I try to look it up to see if it falls under some weird exception. A lot of it is regional too and in some cases if there is a standard accepted pronunciation that is technically wrong it might be best to go with that if people won't understand you if you use the correct pronunciation. For example most people pronounce Aloe as A-low but oe is not a diphthong so the e at the end should be its own syllable. But if you go around pronouncing it A-low-ee with 3 syllables people will have no clue what you are on about.

Algae isn't a scientific name so it wouldn't fall under the regular rules of botanical latin that I am familiar with. So regionally in America we generally pronounce it with a soft g and I believe in England it is pronounced with a hard g but I have also heard it pronounced with a short A sound at the end.

Family names always end in -aceae which I was taught to pronounce -a-cee-a (both a's long) but I the more correct ways to pronounce them would be just -a-cee or a-cee-ee. I have never heard them pronounced a-cee-i.

post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Well ... yes and no. I have two PhD's and still struggle in less than mediocrity. Then on the other hand. I spend 9 out 12 months in the hospital and my tanks go uncared for; then I come back to clean up the mess I left behind.

But that has nothing to do with my Phd's now does it.

I find I ask more questions than provide answers and even the answers I might provide are full and complete without condescending. But then too I get accused of being arrogant for being informed and providing a full and complete answer with details. And sometimes when I ask a question and ask for details the same perception comes off.

Cheers,
Wes
Excellently said.

Amy
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 06:03 AM
Algae Grower

I just wanted to add to this discussion (I'm a couple lifetimes away from a PhD. although some of my best friends have them) wrt Novak and this anoxic/anaerobic denitrification stuff. While I'm at it I also want to put in a plug for Jay's Aquarium (Youtube) as he best filled in the gaps that Novak opened. And in comic book form which is what I apparently needed.

We really can't discuss the work of the Dr. Novak without mentioning a predecessor named Professor Jean Jaubert and his "Monaco Method" or looking at the work the GARF group has done. Both are reef systems but just as applicable as the chemistry works the same. I drew on all these resources to build two on my own which I have no complaints of. I used Oil Dri baked clay absorbant mixed 3:1 with Ecocomplete on plenums they're both two years old now and if nothing else, the water is very stable, and I don't do a lot of water changes (maybe 30-40% a month, sometimes longer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode