• 2 Post By Zapins
  • 2 Post By Sb__78

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ludwigia repens deficiency

https://youtu.be/xcjKAWikWUs

Iím very new to planted tanks and have started with easy plants. (More at home with Mbuna but had no room for 200Gal Mbuna tank when we moved home and couldnít see myself with a small Mbuna setup!) No substrate as yet, 1Ē of sand only. Vallisnera and anubias are both growing well but my repens in the video linked above is not fairing well. I have a deficiency in my repens that I am struggling to resolve. Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate are all 0ppm, temp 26 deg C, all plants have been in over 5 months, repens 9 weeks to press. I have no c02 and dose with tropica premium ferts. Four weeks ago I started to up the dose from 2 squirts per day to 3. Directions state 18 pumps per week for 180ltr tank so I am now over this. And two weeks ago I started to add the directed amount of sea hem iron but this has made no improvement. I have two 13w led Arcadia bulbs, one sunlight the second a tropical. They are on 6 hrs aday.
Fish stocking - 9 Cory, 5 sterbae, 3 ancistrus, 2 bosemani, 8 neons, 1 rummynose.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This plant likes light. Itís an easy plant that is very nice with light and co2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

You may need to dose nitrogen. L. repens can grow moderately fast and a nitrogen deficiency will lead to poor growth. Also, it likes a decent amount of light.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

I had those doing well in a low tech soil tank with alot of light. Only dosed liquid carbon and root tabs.

I think they are root feeders so if you plant in a good substrate and provide liquid carbon, they will do well. And of course alot of light.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 12:33 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
This is an iron deficiency. New growth of roughly normal size that is pale. Classic symptoms. Iron breaks down in the aquarium very quickly. You need daily or every other day dosing of iron to get enough in the water.

If you correct iron and nitrates are too low, then the plant will grow until it runs out of nitrate and not improve. Make sure all nutrients are in the correct ranges or the plants will not improve.
varanidguy and varanidguy like this.

Zapins
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
This is an iron deficiency. New growth of roughly normal size that is pale. Classic symptoms. Iron breaks down in the aquarium very quickly. You need daily or every other day dosing of iron to get enough in the water.

If you correct iron and nitrates are too low, then the plant will grow until it runs out of nitrate and not improve. Make sure all nutrients are in the correct ranges or the plants will not improve.
Thanks zapins. Donít Ďthinkí itís light related as after a couple of weeks I got very good growth from the repens and it brushed out really well but the colour just started to drain out of the leaves followed by lower leaves dropping off. Growth/condition improved after I upped the all in one fert dose but still looked pale. Just got some seachen iron delivered this morning so will try this for a week or two and if no improvement will try adding nitrogen.

Thanks again
varanidguy and varanidguy like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 03:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sb__78 View Post
Thanks zapins. Donít Ďthinkí itís light related as after a couple of weeks I got very good growth from the repens and it brushed out really well but the colour just started to drain out of the leaves followed by lower leaves dropping off. Growth/condition improved after I upped the all in one fert dose but still looked pale. Just got some seachen iron delivered this morning so will try this for a week or two and if no improvement will try adding nitrogen.

Thanks again

Root tabs may help too because they do have roots in the substrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode