4Likes
  • 4 Post By clownplanted
  • 2 Post By slipfinger
  • 2 Post By dukydaf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Will a mL of vinegar 3x/week wreck my tank?

My micros keep molding. They're in the fridge and I keep upping the amount of vinegar I'm using as a preservative... Now I'm thinking it might just be best to dissolve them in 100% vinegar if I can get away with it. But would adding a mL of vinegar to my 10 gallon tank three times a week screw it up? Would it screw it up if it were daily (if I have to change my fert schedule with the new light I'm gonna get)?

Fwiw if it would make a difference, I could also try for a half vinegar mix, in which case I'd be adding 0.5 mL.

I'm leaning towards no because vinegar is weak and iirc will ultimately reduce to CO2, but just really want to double check before going ahead with it lol.

Edit: I do have a dKH of 2.5ish which probably makes a difference. pH is around 7.6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Try adding 5ml excel. I use that in mine and never have an issue with them molding at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 01:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use both vinegar and Excel, seems to work well. I also recently switched over to a dark coloured dosing bottle, I think light is the enemy when it comes to mold.
geisterwald and geisterwald like this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

The effect of 1ml vinegar on 40L will be minimal. However mold should not appear in one or two months. Are you using rodi /ro water? Do you boil the water? Leave it to cool a little and then add the mix?

Key here is to avoid contamination as much as possible. Excel or easy Carbo will help. Potassium sorbate is even better.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
geisterwald and geisterwald like this.

On hiatus till later this year

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode