Co2 and 0 kh - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 88
Co2 and 0 kh

Ok so I got this soil and I was wondering if I can make my kh 2 with no problems or would that mess up my substrate it's just I want to make my pH 6.2 it's at 6 and that's kinda low right? 30 gallon

Gh 6
Kh 0
Ph 6.0 probably lower *gulp*
2 inches of soil

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
koolaid235 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
clownplanted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Sparks, Nevada
Posts: 2,325
Itís a buffering substrate. What a buffering substrate will do is it will remove any KH that is added to give you a KH of 0. So if you add 2 KH this is bad because one it will remove it anyway. And by forcing it to remove KH you are depleting the substrate faster than normal.

You can use co2 with a buffering substrate as the substrate will keep the ph stable compared if you had no buffering substrate and a KH 0 that would be bad as nothing would prevent the PH from massively swinging.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
clownplanted is online now  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (64/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,297
Hi koolaid235,

Welcome to TPT!

Yes, that is definitely too low! Tom Barr recommends a dKH of at least 2.0-3.0 as a minimum to avoid "PH crash" with tanks that have CO2. To increase the dKH of your tank use Bicarbonate of Soda (aka Baking Soda NOT Baking Powder). 1/16 teaspoon per 3 gallons will increase the carbonate hardness by 1.0 dKH.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Seattle_Aquarist is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
Itís a buffering substrate. What a buffering substrate will do is it will remove any KH that is added to give you a KH of 0. So if you add 2 KH this is bad because one it will remove it anyway. And by forcing it to remove KH you are depleting the substrate faster than normal.

You can use co2 with a buffering substrate as the substrate will keep the ph stable compared if you had no buffering substrate and a KH 0 that would be bad as nothing would prevent the PH from massively swinging.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really so it's staying at 6.0 and I can just add co2 like that awesome so my drop checker is a green that means co2 is good and my pH won't go bananas

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
koolaid235 is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi koolaid235,

Welcome to TPT!

Yes, that is definitely too low! Tom Barr recommends a dKH of at least 2.0-3.0 as a minimum to avoid "PH crash" with tanks that have CO2. To increase the dKH of your tank use Bicarbonate of Soda (aka Baking Soda NOT Baking Powder). 1/16 teaspoon per 3 gallons will increase the carbonate hardness by 1.0 dKH.
But then how do i make pH 6.2 or is 6.0 fine

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
koolaid235 is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (64/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,297
Hi koolaid235.

As you add Baking Soda to the tank the PH will increase. If the amount you add does not increase you PH to where you want it you can add more (but it will increase your dKH and dGH as well. Personally, like Tom Barr, I don't worry about the PH so much.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Seattle_Aquarist is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi koolaid235.

As you add Baking Soda to the tank the PH will increase. If the amount you add does not increase you PH to where you want it you can add more (but it will increase your dKH and dGH as well. Personally, like Tom Barr, I don't worry about the PH so much.
But won't the substrate just take it away

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
koolaid235 is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (64/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,297
Hi koolaid235.


Eventually the substrate will reach a point of equilibrium. I use a high CEC substrate and as I said I don't worry too much about the PH, I do try to keep my dKH above 3.0

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Seattle_Aquarist is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi koolaid235.


Eventually the substrate will reach a point of equilibrium. I use a high CEC substrate and as I said I don't worry too much about the PH, I do try to keep my dKH above 3.0
So testing kh each week and just making it 2 or 3 will be ok even with substrate that buff? Ok if you say so

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
koolaid235 is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (64/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,297
Hi koolaid235.

Substrates with high CEC will continue to absorb nutrients and make them available to the plants in the root zone even after the 'buffering effect' of the substrate subsides.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Seattle_Aquarist is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi koolaid235.

Substrates with high CEC will continue to absorb nutrients and make them available to the plants in the root zone even after the 'buffering effect' of the substrate subsides.
Wait could I just wait for the substrate to run out then add kh

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
koolaid235 is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (64/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,297
Hi koolaid235,

You could, but it could take several, several months. Even with dosing Baking Soda the high CEC substrate in my 75 gallon continued buffering for about four (4) months.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Seattle_Aquarist is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi koolaid235,

You could, but it could take several, several months. Even with dosing Baking Soda the high CEC substrate in my 75 gallon continued buffering for about four (4) months.
Well I could just lower co2 and ferts and the plants will grow a little slower buuuuuut 6.0 pH should be fine I have caradena and tetra they like low ph

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
koolaid235 is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (64/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,297
Hi koolaid235,

Lowering your CO2 dosing may work to increase your PH but at the same time if you are running a lot of light then plant deficiencies could result do to lack of available carbon molecules. Algae may take advantage as well.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Seattle_Aquarist is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi koolaid235,

Lowering your CO2 dosing may work to increase your PH but at the same time if you are running a lot of light then plant deficiencies could result do to lack of available carbon molecules. Algae may take advantage as well.
I'm running a light 8 hours it's a beams work 4000 lumen 10 k light my tank isn't fully cycled yet it's almost there but I'm going to experiment for a week or 2 to see if I can work with my pH and co2 . Follow me so I can update you on how it's going if you want

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
koolaid235 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome