2Likes
  • 2 Post By mbkemp
  • 2 Post By natemcnutty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
KH? GH? IDK... Co2 injection, ph levels.. Need help

Hello everyone, its your friendly neighborhood chemistry flunk.

Got an API kit to test KH and GH.

KH- 1 drop to turn Yellow
GH- 4 drop to turn Green

How does this effect my tank, other then the possibility of wild PH swings, How can i get them where i need them, where do i need them
and how does Co2 ( Currently not using) play into everything?

Its a 29 gallon, planted Neo shrimp tank.

Planted 24/7 SE light from Finnex, usually set to max at the moment (Brand new as of yesterday)

Thanks everyone. I'll update this if its scatterbrained shortly, ( Racing the clock to work)

Lo, they do call to me.
They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

So, your water is soft. 1dkh is carbonate. This is what keeps ph from swinging, or allows it too

4dgh is calcium and magnesium mostly. This is a good place to be unless you have live bearers or African lake cichlids. Your shrimp will like this

The kh matters if you are adding co2. It will not take as much to saturate your water with co2

You can add a little bit of baking soda to bring your kh up. If you are not going to use co2 I would not mess with it( depending on substrate)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkemp View Post
So, your water is soft. 1dkh is carbonate. This is what keeps ph from swinging, or allows it too
The kh matters if you are adding co2. It will not take as much to saturate your water with co2

You can add a little bit of baking soda to bring your kh up. If you are not going to use co2 I would not mess with it( depending on substrate
Cool, so I'm kinda on track with this one (as far as knowledge goes) .

The only species that will be in this tank are the neos, some Oto cats and a school of pygmaeus corys.

My substrate is CaribSea Planted Aquarium substrate.

Definitely planning on running Co2 eventually.

Lo, they do call to me.
In the halls of Valhalla

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 06:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkemp View Post

4dgh is calcium and magnesium mostly. This is a good place to be unless you have live bearers or African lake cichlids. Your shrimp will like this

You can add a little bit of baking soda to bring your kh up. If you are not going to use co2 I would not mess with it( depending on substrate)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just as a heads up, neocaridina should be kept at an absolute minimum of 6 dGH, and preferably closer to 7-8 dGH to ensure there is enough calcium makeup in the GH.

The way the drops work actually means the dGH is somewhere between 3 and 4 dGH, and KH is somewhere between 0 and 1 dKH. A very small pinch of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) should help raise the KH enough to buffer pH swings.

To ensure enough calcium is there for the shrimp, add GH booster, Seachem Equilibrium, your own mix of gypsum salt and epsom salt (roughly 4:1 ratio), or something like SaltyShrimp to increase dGH to roughly 7-8 dGH.
mbkemp and mbkemp like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Just as a heads up, neocaridina should be kept at an absolute minimum of 6 dGH, and preferably closer to 7-8 dGH to ensure there is enough calcium makeup in the GH.

The way the drops work actually means the dGH is somewhere between 3 and 4 dGH, and KH is somewhere between 0 and 1 dKH. A very small pinch of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) should help raise the KH enough to buffer pH swings.

To ensure enough calcium is there for the shrimp, add GH booster, Seachem Equilibrium, your own mix of gypsum salt and epsom salt (roughly 4:1 ratio), or something like SaltyShrimp to increase dGH to roughly 7-8 dGH.
Okay, so. what, in your opinion would be the best, most reliable method to raise these parameters to an idea place for Neo shrimp?

Update:

Water parameters are:
PH: 6.5
dKH:1
dGH:4.5

Lo, they do call to me.
In the halls of Valhalla

Last edited by Aquatic Athlete; 10-22-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Updating these
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Athlete View Post
Okay, so. what, in your opinion would be the best, most reliable method to raise these parameters to an idea place for Neo shrimp?

Update:

Water parameters are:
PH: 6.5
dKH:1
dGH:4.5
If you have a planted tank, I would use Seachem Equilibrium or GH booster from Nilocg or similar for raising GH, and then I would use baking soda to increase dKH to around 2-3 dKH.

If no plants, I would use something like SaltyShrimp GH/KH+. By adding 1g per 10 liters, you would end up with a dGH of 7.5 and a dKH of 2.5 which would be a great target.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode