Need advice on Fert Dosing and General Additives - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Need advice on Fert Dosing and General Additives

I've been keeping a planted tank for the last few years and have had mixed success. I decided recently that since we are switching tanks (from 1 90g to another) that I will take it seriously this time around. I have a number of different liquid fertilizers, some old and some new. But essentially I just wanted to ask which of them would you recommend me to continue using and in what dosages.

Tank Stats:

Tank has been running for 1 week, still cycling.
  • 90g, 30" Outer measure. 22.5-23" water surface to bottom/floor of tank.
  • Flourite Substrate, 3-5" (higher towards the back of the tank
  • Light: Satellite + Pro, ~7" from water surface
  • 2x CO2 Bio System by Red Sea, good for up to 40g according to the box. (Iím using yeast and sugar instead of their fills though)

Current Plants:
  • Java Moss
  • Dwarf Hairgrass
  • Anubias Heterophylla
  • Anubias ? (lost the purchase paper for this one) Smaller one in back right
  • Anubias ? (lost the purchase paper for this one) Other smaller one in back right
  • Curled Water Tyme
  • Myriophyllum Propinum
  • Reinechhkil
  • Sessiis

Chemicals Iím looking for a simple Yes/No for on regular maintenance:

Python Water Conditioner (2 cap/ 10g)
Python Bio- Support (2cap / 10g)
Python Bio-Clean (currently 0, wondering if I should)

Fertilizers I need advised dosages for:
  • Flourish Nitrogen (older): Current dose is 5mL for entire tank.
  • Flourish Excel: Current dose is 45mL for tank
  • Flourish Potassium: 15mL for tank
  • Flourish Iron: 10mL for tank
  • Flourish Trace (older): 20mL for tank

Also if there is any other fertilizers I should buy or anything you recommend I stop adding please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 12:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Fertilizers I need advised dosages for:
Flourish Nitrogen (older): Current dose is 5mL for entire tank.
Flourish Excel: Current dose is 45mL for tank
Flourish Potassium: 15mL for tank
Flourish Iron: 10mL for tank
Flourish Trace (older): 20mL for tank
This mix is OK but it short 4 critical nutrients Calcium, magnesium, sulfur, and chlorine. In some cases your tap water has all of these and you won't have any problems. However if your tap water is low on any one plant growth will be slow. I would use Google to search on line for your local water quality report. In the US it should list your calcium, magnesium, sulfate, and chloride levels. You might also want to order a GH test kit so that you can determine how hard your water is. If it is moderately hard you probably won't have any problems. However if it is soft you might need to add these missing nutrients.

If your water is soft or you want to use distilled or RO water You could add these missing nutrients by getting a Gh booster A sulfate based GH booster like Sachem equilibrium would supply the needed calcium, magnesium, and sulfur. Or you could get a chloride CH booster (most GH boosters on the market are chloride based) and that would supply calcium magnesium and chlorine. I would give sulfur more importance than Chloride and go with a sulfate GH booster. However you should make your own GH booster by by getting calcium sulfate (gypsum) and Magnesium chloride (Both are available on amazon.com). These can be mixed dry 4 parts Calcium sulfate to 1 part magnesium chloride. That would cover all 4 nutrients. You would only need to increase water hardness by 2 degree to provide enough for plants. This combined with what you already have should cover everything a plants need to grow.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
I would use Google to search on line for your local water quality report. In the US it should list your calcium, magnesium, sulfate, and chloride levels. You might also want to order a GH test kit so that you can determine how hard your water is. If it is moderately hard you probably won't have any problems.
I am getting test strips today because of a cycling tank so I'll grab some for hardness as well. Last time we tested the water was quite hard and I doubt that would have changed much. I looked online for a water quality report I'll attach a screenshot of the chart I found for last year. Are there any nutrient test kits or something similar I can get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
However you should make your own GH booster by by getting calcium sulfate (gypsum) and Magnesium chloride (Both are available on amazon.com). These can be mixed dry 4 parts Calcium sulfate to 1 part magnesium chloride. That would cover all 4 nutrients. You would only need to increase water hardness by 2 degree to provide enough for plants. This combined with what you already have should cover everything a plants need to grow.
I'm pretty sure I don't need it, considering how high the water hardness is but I can find the same on Amazon.ca for a similar price just in case. Can you provide me with links for the ones you recommend. Thanks =).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 Water Quality Report.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	794506  

Last edited by LearningMore; 10-08-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Found the Water Quality Report

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode