Premixed (RO/DI/Tap) Water Treatment Solution - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Premixed (RO/DI/Tap) Water Treatment Solution

Has anyone ever tried this, I was thinking this morning when I was dosing my PPS… has anyone ever mixed up a solution similar to how we do our fertilizers, that will treat RO, distilled, or tap water?

For instance if you needed to add Equilibrium, alkaline buffer, and such to your water every time you had to add water to your tank or to do water changes, could you just grab your 1000ml bottle and add the appropriate amount of premixed treatment needed, and if you could do this, how would you go about finding the amounts of supplement you needed?

CDA Enterprises
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I tried this with Equilibrium when I first started using it. Dump enough into a gallon of RO water to treat about what you will need for your water change and just pour the gallon in when you do the change. The problem is that lots of the dry stuff we use needs a pretty large volume of water to fully dissolve.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
The problem is that lots of the dry stuff we use needs a pretty large volume of water to fully dissolve.
That is mainly a problem with calcium sulfate. Only about 2 grams of it will dissolve in 1 liter of water. Quite low compared to other fertilizers commonly used in aquarium. In this case I have premixed a fertilizer and add it and then added dry Calcium sulfate directly to the tank. Where it rapidly dissolves.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
That is mainly a problem with calcium sulfate. Only about 2 grams of it will dissolve in 1 liter of water. Quite low compared to other fertilizers commonly used in aquarium. In this case I have premixed a fertilizer and add it and then added dry Calcium sulfate directly to the tank. Where it rapidly dissolves.
In the case of a pre-mix to remineralize RO, distilled water etc. it would largely depend on the quantity of water you are preparing the pre-mix for. For people with large tanks that change a large amount of water it becomes more of a problem. I pre-mix an amount of phosphorous so I can add it to the tank in very small amounts. Potassium and Equilibrium just go directly in the tank as you mention. Everything else is liquid.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode