Is PH important? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is PH important?

I brought my water into my LFS this week to be tested. They said everything looked great. They said my PH was on the high side but that was nothing to be concerned with, there is more concern with Low PH? They said PH is more of a concern if you are breeding but otherwise not to worry about it too much. Is this accurate? I haven't found anything online saying this so I am looking for a second opinion. I have limestone rock décor which is what got me thinking about it in the first place. I have been focusing on plants but plan to start stocking more fish soon and want things to be in order. My current fish (SAE, Pleco, Rasbora) seem happy. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 07:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
As you know fish come from various different parts of the world. Not all water has the same PH some fish come from PH that is higher and some from lower PH's. For example livebearers and african Cichlids would not really tolerate a low PH as most of them come from higher PH waters. It is true that there is more concern with a low PH because most fish will not tolerate acidic water. Limestone is calcerous, that means it has the ability to raise the PH of your water as well as make the water harder. Do you know what the actual PH of your water was that would help tremendously

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson2925 View Post
I brought my water into my LFS this week to be tested. They said everything looked great. They said my PH was on the high side but that was nothing to be concerned with, there is more concern with Low PH? They said PH is more of a concern if you are breeding but otherwise not to worry about it too much. Is this accurate? I haven't found anything online saying this so I am looking for a second opinion. I have limestone rock décor which is what got me thinking about it in the first place. I have been focusing on plants but plan to start stocking more fish soon and want things to be in order. My current fish (SAE, Pleco, Rasbora) seem happy. Thanks!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 08:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Unless you are way off, PH is irrelevant 99% of the time. There are some very specific fish that are PH sensitive, but most are fine as long as you are within 0.5 points of their range. I have fish that prefer 8+ in 7.5 and fish that prefer below 7 in 7.5. All of these fish are healthy. As more and more fish are being locally bred, this becomes even less of an issue.

The biggest thing I have taken away from fish keeping is that consistency is key. As water sits in an aquarium, the PH has the potential to shift from the tap. If you are over stocked, do big frequent water changes as this will deal with waste and will keep your PH closer. If your stocking allows for less frequent water changes, that do smaller water changes at a time. Much like temps, when doing a water change, you want to be within a couple degrees to not bother the fish. (This is exaggerated) If your water out of the tap is 8.0 and your aquariums are 7.0, I wouldn't go past 20% WC at a time. Most people though are pretty close. Tanks at 7.4 and tap at 7.6. Point of all this being, as long as the specific fish you are keeping aren't those sensitive ones, DO NOT use additives to modify PH.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Very helpful! As far as the number goes the chart they showed me only went up to 7.6 and I would say it was right at that shade of blue. I am fortunate that the two LFS in my area get a lot of local bred fish so I should be good, I was just worried the limestone might be messing me up which I would want to get rid of before I start stocking more heavily if it was truly a concern. The tank has been setup for 7 months now so I would hope that any effect of the limestone on PH would have been noticed by now? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ph.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	791834  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode