Phosphates - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Phosphates

I have a 30 gallon planted tank with a T5 HO dual fixture and pressurized CO2. I have been dosing with Seachem nitrogen, phosphorus, trace, excel, iron, potassium, and advance. I use the recommended amounts. My phosphorus level is .25 or .5. What is the ideal level for a planted tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1983 View Post
I have a 30 gallon planted tank with a T5 HO dual fixture and pressurized CO2. I have been dosing with Seachem nitrogen, phosphorus, trace, excel, iron, potassium, and advance. I use the recommended amounts. My phosphorus level is .25 or .5. What is the ideal level for a planted tank?
I think the "ideal" phosphorus level in a planted tank will vary from tank to tank (especially in regards to plant mass within the set-up). Most are quick to site an "ideal" nitrate/phosphorus ratio of 10:1. I try to maintain a phosphorus level of around 1ppm in my planted tanks (because this is what works for me, but more importantly: it works for my plants).

If you have a chance, you might want to look at this link https://buddendo.home.xs4all.nl/aqua...dfield_eng.htm, it may be of interest to you.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 01:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I have been dosing with Seachem nitrogen, phosphorus, trace, excel, iron, potassium, and advance.
This combination of fertilizers has no significant calcium, magnesium, sulfur, and chlorine. Without a detailed water report it is highly questionable if you have enough of these nutrients to get good plant growth. What is your GH and KH of your water. Also look for your utility water quality report on line. You might want to consider a sulfate GH booster such as Seachem Equilibrium to prevent calcium, magnesium, and sulfur deficiency. Also I would add about 2ppm of sodium chloride (table salt to provide a source of chlorine.

As to Phosphates it was once thought that it caused algae and should be kept as low as possible. However it now has been shown that it doesn't cause algae and there are people dosing at 5ppm and have no algae. The best advice I have is that you should start and dose at 1ppm and then adjust your dose up or down depending on how much your plants are using. I would consider 0.3ppm too low.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My kH is 14 and the GH is fairly hard. I will look into increasing my phosphates.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode