2Likes
  • 2 Post By EDLITE
  • 2 Post By NightHedgie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
kh buffer help

I have just planted my small tank. It has a gravel base and planted with 2 rotala species(rotundifolia and bonsai), some moss, and injected with pressurized co2 with ei dosing(still half dose since it's a new tank). Currently water parameters are 6.4ph(with co2), 2kh, 10gh and I use RO water with SHRIMP KING SHRIMP SALT GH+/KH+(since my tap water is BAD). Till now it only has 3 amano shrimps and a few ramhorn snail(for algae cleaning), but I would like to add some guppies. Since they like medium to hard water with ph from 6.8-7.8, I would like to add some kh to 5-6 while leaving the gh at 10, so that I can come cloase to 6.8ph or a little bit more as I think it will suite them better. I know a lot use baking soda to raise kh/ph. Is it good or is it used because it's cheap? What other additives do you suggest? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Algae Grower

If you want to be successful with aquariums, work with what you have. Most fish will adapt well. If you proceed to constantly add chemicals to your tank you will end up jerking your chemistry around and your fish will not like it. Keep what you have, do water changes, add co2 if you want as it will lower your Ph and feed variety of good food. See how your fish do before you do anything. A stable tank is generally a healthy tank. Don't get all hung up on this water chemistry thing but let some time go by and see how your fish are.
Good fishin.
dmallia and dmallia like this.

"We are born to move, if it don't move its dead"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EdLite
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 09:54 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDLITE View Post
If you want to be successful with aquariums, work with what you have. Most fish will adapt well. If you proceed to constantly add chemicals to your tank you will end up jerking your chemistry around and your fish will not like it. Keep what you have, do water changes, add co2 if you want as it will lower your Ph and feed variety of good food. See how your fish do before you do anything. A stable tank is generally a healthy tank. Don't get all hung up on this water chemistry thing but let some time go by and see how your fish are.
Good fishin.
I second that
dmallia and dmallia like this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thats what i thought. but since i am already messing with remineralised ro, i think it shouldn't be a big deal to just add some kh too. i was looking at some products like the sera or jbl kh plus since it would be easier to calculate with a syringe or i can make my own solution with baking soda.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
You are mixing up terms. When people talk about water hardness, they are usually referring to general hardness (GH), not carbonate hardness (KH).

Raising KH will also raise your pH, and KH buffers acids such as the CO2 you are injecting. I would recommend you leave the parameters as you have them. Your GH is just fine.

I have a tank of about a hundred grass guppies kept at 6.6 with a dKH of 0 and a dGH of 5.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode