what exactly do you use to remineralize RO water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
what exactly do you use to remineralize RO water?

Hi,
i moved to house with water softener so i thought ill just switch to RO water for my tanks. But im kind of lost on how to remineralize the water. do i want to use some sort of commercial remineralizators or order somethng on evilbuy or pick something up at gardening store..
thanks for your answers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 06:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Location: Davis, CA but I wish I didn't live in California. Anywhere but here.
Have you run your water through your RO device and tested it? You may not need to do anything else, possibly over thinking it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recipe for a quarantine tank: 5-15gal aquarium, no substrate, a heater that can heat the tank to 86F, "lights should be turned off", one - two mesh bags of biological medium, two small sponge filters, an air pump running into the tank powering the sponge filter. Lid is optional but you should be able to cover most of the tank to prevent fish from jumping out.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Medicine for ich, fungus, bacteria and parasites next to your ...quarantine - hospital thank.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigityDog70 View Post
Have you run your water through your RO device and tested it? You may not need to do anything else, possibly over thinking it?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes, KH=0, GH=0

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
CASO4 & MGSO4 for GH. Available from anyone who sells EI ferts.

K2C03 for KH. Available on Amazon.

Take a look at popular dosing calculators like Zorfox/Rotala butterfly for dosing.

With these three can dial in any GH/KH you would like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
if i were you i would dose Camgco3 also known as Dolomite, it will add both calcium and magnesium, it will also raise the GH and Kh. i highly suggest 1-2 Dgh/DKh which is enough for plant growth. But CaMgco3 is kind of hard to dissolve, i normally just dump the amount in the tank directly and it should eventually dissolve.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Most plant fertilizers are don't include Calcium / sulfur / and chlorine. These are vital plant nutrients and are not pressent in RO water. Tap water however has plenty of these. Most People use Gh boosters to remineralize the water they either are made from calcium / magnesium sulfate or Clcium / Magnesium chloride in a a ratio of about 3 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium.

If you use a chloride based remineralizer (they are the most common ones) you need to add sulfur. You can use Potassium sulfate to add sulfur to the water. If you buy a sulfate remineralizer (Seachem Equilibrium is one) you will have the sulfur but are still short Chloride. You can use table salt to supply the chloride.

I personally purchased Calcium sulfate and magnesium chloride from Amazon.com and made my own which resloved all 3 fertilizer deficiencies.

You can used Domolite but it barely dissolves in PH neutral water The best you will get is a GH of about +2 and it will keep you PH at about 7.

Note:
Calcium sulfate (gypsum)
Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom salt)
Magnesium chloride
Calcium chloride (often sold as road salt)
Potassium sulfate

All are available on Amazon.com in quantities ranging from small to large. Another source for fertilizer chemicals is Loudwolf.com. They sell in small quantities (typically 4 oz) at a low cost and the orders have arrived promptly in the mail. LoudWolf also sells Bromophenol Blue which is the indicator used in drop checkers.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-15-2017 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode