1Likes
  • 2 Post By d33pVI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mixing Excel with Micros for auto-doser

Hey All!

I’m thinking about setting up a Jaebo DP4 dosing pump for my fert dosing per the instructions here. . I want to have 1 pump each for Macros, Micros, and Iron. Here’s my question… Per these instructions, each pump will only activate every other day, but I want to dose Excel every day. Can I calculate and add Excel to both the macros and micros, or will it have a reaction to the EI mixture? I know I can add a small amount of Excel to prevent mold growth, but I wasn’t sure about adding a lot. I would be adding 500mL of Excel (normally 15mL / day) to 500mL of both the Macros and Micros (normally 15mL / day, alternating days), and dosing 30mL / day of the mixture.

That made more sense in my head, but I think it came out of the keyboard all jumbled up. I hope I'm making sense =)

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
You have 4 pumps, set up the last one for a daily dose of Excel.
Vohlk and Vohlk like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 07:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Just out of curiosity, why not use the 4th pump for glut. (excel). Or are you using it for something else. I think with the jabao dp4 you can program each channel individually so you should be able to have the 4th channel run every day.

The reason I wouldn't mix excess excel into your mixtures is well, reactions. Chemistry is messy and excel (glutaraldehyde) is an organic molecule, which you now will be mixing with your salts. My biggest concern would lie with it reacting with you KH2PO4 in the process of pinacol coupling. This obviously depends on the pH of your water, hard water (high pH) won't run into this issue, low pH will. But that is just one of an inumeral amount of reactions that could occur, will they occur.... I don't know I havent tried it myself, like you said some people add small amounts.

2nd concern would be that you should make sure that you either change your dosing amount or you reduce your water for your mixture, because when you add the excel you will be diluting your dosing mixture. eg: if you have 500 ml of solution and would dose 50ml a day, but then you add 500ml of excel to that you should really dose 100ml a day to get your ideal amount of nutrients (which may be too much excel depending on the size of your tank).

Honestly it will be easier if you can set it up on your 4th channel. If not it will be harder, possibly possible, but harder for sure.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I thought that each pump needed the same schedule, basically if one was every other day, they would all be every other day. If you can program one pump to activate every day, then that solves the problem!

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Yeah you should be able to manually select which pump operates at each schedule.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode