how to mixed potassium with ei method for a 120g? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
how to mixed potassium with ei method for a 120g?

Hi all, I recently spotted some potassium deficiency in my 120 low light no co2 planted aquarium. with my pre mixed solution use up, I decide its time to move on to ei method. I bought a bag of kso4(500g) and a 900ml spray bottle. then I use this calculator to calculate the amount I like to dose and mixed. the out put of water spray bottle was 1.23 ml about 1/4 tsp per squeeze.

http://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php

but the result it give me was pretty confusing, I have to add 136.6 gram of kso4 to the bottle to come out with a solution of 7.5 ppm with in 40 ish pump or double that if I were to do 20 pump. I'm just curious how much potassium sulfate do u use with ei method. I'm not even sure that amount of potassium can be desolve in the spray bottle at that concentration.

thx for look
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 02:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'd ditch the spray bottle. Dose directly into the tank.

But you can't do EI by providing 1 nutrient! What are you doing for N, P and macros? You said you were dosing and have a deficiency, what levels have you been dosing?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
I'd ditch the spray bottle. Dose directly into the tank.

But you can't do EI by providing 1 nutrient! What are you doing for N, P and macros? You said you were dosing and have a deficiency, what levels have you been dosing?
I might ditch it and just mix it with a bowl or something, I didn't dose np for this tank since its a low tech tank with pretty much just anubias and java fern. before I just dose flourish potassium once every two week with recommandation. since the tank it self is kind of over stock with fish/over feeding, so I didn't bother dosing np as they r really rich in fish food and fish waste. lately I notice there some pin hole in both my anubias and java fern. so I come to my senses its time to move on to dose potassium via ei method instead with crappy pre mixed product.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Is your tank 12- gallons or 120 liter? when talking about dosing it maters a lot at this point in time I cannot tell if you are using the dosing calculator correctly or not. But that said 136 grams does not sound right. So I suspect you didn't use the calculator correctly.

Personally i don't use spray bottles. I use a dilution calculator to create a liquid concentrate of a known PPM and then use a string to measure and apply the correct amount of fertilizer.

Pin holes in leaves chould be a potassium deficiency or something else. There are about 15 nutrients plants need grow NPK are just the 3 needed in the highest concentration. If you are short just one nutrient your plants will start to have problems and in holes in leave could show up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_nutrition

Quote:
I didn't dose np for this tank since its a low tech tank with pretty much just anubias and java fern. before I just dose flourish potassium once every two week with recommandation. since the tank it self is kind of over stock with fish/over feeding, so I didn't bother dosing np as they r really rich in fish food and fish waste.
While fish food and waist may be rich in N and P it may be very poor in something else. In fact this is often the case. Also some nutrients may have low water solubility and will just settle out in the substrate while others will stay dissolved in the water. Those that stay dissolved in the water will be lost every water change will those that settled out in the substrate will not. So just using fish food allows will never have all 15 of the needed nutrients in the correct concentrations.

Many people have found that the best way to deal with nutrient deficiencies is to dose all of the 15 nutrients and then just before the next fertilizer does do a 50% water change to reset the nutrients levels back down to a lower level.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Sorry didn't see the 120g in the title. For a dose to target of 7.5ppm in 120gallon tank you would need 7.5 grams. for the entire.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thx bro, I'll keep an eye on it. I'm just not too sure, I want to flood the water column with over whelming amount of micro. that could lead to algae problem, since my plants aren't really fast growing type.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 11:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I'm just not too sure, I want to flood the water column with over whelming amount of micro. that could lead to algae problem, since my plants aren't really fast growing type.
Keep in mind the central idea for the EI fertilization is to cover all of the plants nutrient needs so that they can grow as rapidly as possible and out compete the algae for nutrients. Generally this works for many people. The biggest issue is that most fertilizers used are not complete fertilizers. Calcium and sulfur and chlorine are generally not included because in most cases tap has enough. However tap water doesn't always have enough.

The nutrient calculator you are using Has EI settings for daily Daily and low light weekly dosing. The low light setting indicates you could use 534mg of CSM+B micronutrient in your tank. CSM doesn't include chlorine so I would also add 454mg of table salt sodium (1ppm) chloride to provide some chlorine. Add to that a sulfate GH booster (Sachem Equilibrium, increase water GH by 2 degrees to insure adequate calcium, magnesium, and sulfur levels). That should cover everything except NPK. You state your tank has enough NP with K being your only concern. If you added these nutrients and keep you nitrate no lower than 5ppm and phosphate no lower than 1ppm and your GH 2degrees (34ppm) above tap water I don't think you will have any algae issues.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode