Survey: water column fertilization etc - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
baj
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Survey: water column fertilization etc

Hi All,
I would be grateful if you all could take a minute to fill out a little survey, even if for no other reason but to humour me I am trying to get a handle on micro,macro and trace fertilization and just wanted to check if there might be a rule hidden underneath it all. The attempt is to get water parameters from people who have stable (tanks not overrun with algae and no major weekly algae removal needed), unstable (algae being a pain in the ummm back) and moderately stable (no major algae problems but moderate mechanical or chemical removal weekly). If you could just indicate your tank parameters in the following manner that would be great:

1) Tank volume (an estimate on the effective water volume is fine)
2) Tank stable/unstable/moderately stable
3) No. of 10g tanks your stem plants would fill
4) Macro levels in ppm - Nitrates, Potassium, Phosphate
5) Daily macro consumption in ppm - Nitrates, Potassium, Phosphate
6) Daily Macro dosage in ml N,K,P
7) Daily Iron dosage in ml
8) Daily Micro and trace dosage
9) Lighting - total Watts and K
10) CO2 - ppm

Notes:
1) Tank volume: Effective water volume is less than the rated volume of the tank. eg: the effective water volume in a 10g tank would be ~8.5g due to substrate etc.
2)
3) Just an additonal parameter, an estimate is more than sufficient, the analysis will be at least more accurate than not considering plants at all.
4) The macro levels in ppm in your tank
5) An estimate is more than sufficient, you can extrapolate or make a guesstimate. Eg: if you need to dose N daily to maintain 10ppm and you dose to raise the ppm by say 5 then daily consumption of N is 5ppm.
6, 7 and 8) In ml how much do you dose daily, if you do not dose daily guess on the daily dosage, eg 3ml of KNO3 3 times a week would be roughly 1.3ml per day.
I have deliberately neglected fauna load (their influence should reflect on your dosing)

Do not worry about what specific kind of algae problems you have, even if you are battling to keep spot algae out of your front glass and scrub it once a week, the tank is moderately stable, even if you have no other algae problem. Also, the survey is mirrored on APC, just so I have a large set of unique datapoints, please fill the survey once. Also, any ideas into improving the survey(have I skipped some important parameter) will be greatly appreciated.

I hope there is some science involved in dosing and the whole thing is not voodoo, or worse - uninformed guesswork.

Last edited by baj; 11-26-2004 at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baj
Also, any ideas into improving the survey(have I skipped some important parameter) will be greatly appreciated.
Lighting and CO2 levels are critical to know when it comes to algae and nutrient consumption. Lighting especially. Unless you only want to focus on water parameters...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 09:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm more than happy to contribute baj. I would love to see the data set you come up with. Data mining can reveal some very interesting things indeed. Here goes:

1) Tank volume - 125G Nominal / 100G Effective
2) Tank - Stable
3) No. of 10g tanks your stem plants would fill - 4 10G tanks
4) Macro levels in ppm - Nitrates (6-8 ppm), Potassium (10-20 ppm), Phosphate (1.0 -1.5 ppm)
5) Daily macro consumption in ppm - Nitrates (2-4 ppm ?), Potassium (2-5 ppm ?), Phosphate (.25 ppm ?)
6) Daily Macro dosage in ml N,K,P - N (no dose, fish provide ample NO3), K (dose 2 ppm every other day with micro/traces), P (rarely dose, again the fish oblige me quite nicely)
7) Daily Iron dosage in ml (dose .1 ppm Fe every other day with micro/traces)
8) Daily Micro and trace dosage (dose 25 ml standard CSM+B trace mix every other day)
9) Lighting - 440w Total (192w CF @ 10000K, 192w CF @ 6700K, 60w NO @ 6500K)
10) CO2 - ppm (27-30 ppm, with very little fluctuation)

Hope this helps out

The computer allows you to make mistakes faster than any other invention, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
baj
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Travis, thanks a bunch friend! Hope I can convince the others in the forum to set aside a minute to fill this out (or at least humour me). You hit the nail right on the head about the purpose of this survey, it might reveal a pattern, or not at all in either case my understanding will improve (its either scientifically predictable or its reading tea leaves) and the data will be out here for everyone to analyse and draw their conclusions.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode