new to the EI method

just staring the EI method on a 55
this is what is recommended

40-60 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

Note: K2SO4 is not required for dosing unless you need the extra Potassium (K). This K is found in KN03 and KH2P04. Dosing these two according to above will yield sufficient K levels. Therefore, one will be fine dosing only KN03 and KH2P04, and Plantex. If one needs to increase their K levels with K2S04, add the same measured amount as KH2P04. For example, if one is dosing 1/2 tsp of KH2P04, then dose 1/2 tsp of K2S04. In true regards to EI, added excess K is not detrimental in any event.

i have
K2SO4
KNO3-N
CSM+B

will these still work for the EI method or do i need to get KH2Po4 ?

thanks in advance
roadmaster and roadmaster like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have been thinking the same thing as I started dosing with nilocg products and I use gh booster but i tested my water and I have now found out that my tap water has changed once again. I don't need to add gh booster and the. Way his ei dosing works is without gh you add the k2so4 and I'm not sure what to do. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--- My tank!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtadpole2 View Post

40-60 Gallon Aquariums
50% weekly water change

Note: K2SO4 is not required for dosing unless you need the extra Potassium (K). This K is found in KN03 and KH2P04. Dosing these two according to above will yield sufficient K levels. Therefore, one will be fine dosing only KN03 and KH2P04, and Plantex. If one needs to increase their K levels with K2S04, add the same measured amount as KH2P04. For example, if one is dosing 1/2 tsp of KH2P04, then dose 1/2 tsp of K2S04. In true regards to EI, added excess K is not detrimental in any event.

i have
K2SO4
KNO3-N
CSM+B

thanks in advance
Yes KH2Po4 (Monopotassium phosphate) is your source of phosphate (P). You probably will not need K2SO4 as you will get enough Potassium (K) from KH2PO4 and KNO3.

Whats the details on the tank. Be careful with EI dosing, many people that start are back here asking why do I have algae.........

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

KSO4 is not only to used to increase K. It is also used to increase S (sulfur also a macro plant nutrient. Typically tap water will have enough SO4. But there are people that have very soft water with little to no S. Most Fertilizers (including all EI fertilizer also don't include Ca (calcium also a macro plant nutrient). Again the assumption is that the tap water has enough Ca).

S and Ca deficies in EI tanks is common because most of us don't know what is in our tap water and and most never see it mentioned in forums or in EI instruction guides. Tom Barr (the creator of the EI method) advises keeping the GH between 3 and 5 degrees. At that level in many cases there is enough calcium and sulfur in the water. If not or if you see a nutrient deficiency add a sulfate GH booster to your water. Increasing the hardness by 1 or 2 degrees should insure enough calcium and sulfur.

Note Potassium chloride can also be used to increase K and it also includes Cl (Chlorine again another vital micro plant nutrient not included in most fertilzers). Sodium chloride (table salt) can also be used to insure enough Cl. You only need about 2ppm to eliminate any chance of a chlorine deficiency.

Due to all the KNO3 and KPO4 being used in EI tanks there is almost always enough K to avoid running out of it.

Quote:
40-60 Gallon Aquariums
50% weekly water change
Note Tom Barr never said KH2PO4. He uses KPO4. KH2PH4 is different and it might be more reactive than KPO4. I have no experience with KH2 PO4.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-05-2017 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
Note Tom Barr never said KH2PO4. He uses KPO4. KH2PH4 is different and it might be more reactive than KPO4. I have no experience with KH2 PO4.

Read Barr Report more closely.
Monopotassium Phosphate. KH2PO4 is the one specified in EI.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Tom Barr sure does mention KH2PO4 many times. We will not go into that as that is not part of this discussion so please leave on discussion here. So here is the deal. As far as dosing Phosphate and Nitrates its more of a "do you need" it kind of deal. What I mean is if you have a good stock fish level and are feeding them good then you may not need to dose much if any at all phosphates or nitrates. To give you an example if you test and your nitrates are 10ppm and your phosphates are 1ppm then skip the dosing. Do you add a gh booster at all? If you do then your Potassium is for sure covered. If not I would suggest getting some to dose separate(since we cannot really test for specific potassium levels). This way you are not over dosing. For me my nitrates and phosphates stay between 10ppm-20ppm(nitrates) and 1ppm-2ppm(Phosphates) during the week due to my fish load and feeding. Why waste ferts to dose to a higher level when its not needed? Yeah I mean we can get the levels down by doing a water change but why waste the ferts and watch your tds rise for no reason when its not needed?

Bump:
Quote:
@Surf You do realize this is his fertilizer he sells right? KH2PO4.
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...ditU=1&Regit=5

Back to your original question if you are dosing kno3 and kh2po4 you do not need to dose potassium seperately. I will try to find but Tom Barr specifically had mentioned this himself as being the case.
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.

Last edited by clownplanted; 09-05-2017 at 01:36 AM. Reason: added info
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
He uses KPO4.
KH2PH4 is different and it might be more reactive than KPO4.
That would be K3PO4 / Tripotassium Phosphate which I haven't seen many people mention.

Please define "Reactive"? Reactive to what?
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtadpole2 View Post

40-60 Gallon Aquariums
50% weekly water change

i have
K2SO4
KNO3-N
CSM+B

thanks in advance
Yes you need some KH2PO4 for EI method.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode