Shouldn't I be seeing nitrates already? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shouldn't I be seeing nitrates already?

6 neon tetras inside of 130 gallons with a 40 gallon air sponge filter, nothing else.

After 6 days, the ammonia registered at 0.25ppm, so I inoculated the filter with nitrifying bacteria, enough for a 40 gallon tank, according to the bottle (I did this within a 5 gallon bucket, with the air pump filter running, for about 10 minutes, pouring the water back into the tank when done). Over 24 hours later, the nitrates are still at 0 ppm. The ammonia appears to be climbing still.

Do you think the nitrifying bacteria bottle was bunk or is there an issue with the other specs I'm playing with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmike1975 View Post
6 neon tetras inside of 130 gallons with a 40 gallon air sponge filter, nothing else.

After 6 days, the ammonia registered at 0.25ppm, so I inoculated the filter with nitrifying bacteria, enough for a 40 gallon tank, according to the bottle (I did this within a 5 gallon bucket, with the air pump filter running, for about 10 minutes, pouring the water back into the tank when done). Over 24 hours later, the nitrates are still at 0 ppm. The ammonia appears to be climbing still.

Do you think the nitrifying bacteria bottle was bunk or is there an issue with the other specs I'm playing with?
Most of the BB in a bottle are junk. There are however a couple/few that are known to work well. The problem is unless the BB has been stored the entire time correctly, usually cool then they are most likely dead in a bottle. The few worth mentioning are Dr. Tim's One and Only, Tetra SafeStart(need to ensure has been fridged), Microbe-lift Nite Out II (2), and MOSURA BT-9. If you do not have one of those four then yeah the bottle is bunk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 08:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Am surprised to see any measureable ammonia with six small tetra's in 130 gal tank unless they are being greatly overfed.
Assuming the tank has plant's,,they too would scavenge ammonia which would mean you are likely to see little in the way of Nitrates.
I might just perform weekly water changes while feeding the tank sparingly once every other day for the six tetra's, about half dime size amount of food.
After ten day's, I might add another six of the neon's and then another ten day's,add six or eight other small fishes while still feeding sparingly and so on, until stocking was completed.
Could set up smaller quarantine tank to house fishes between stocking them in display tank or risk adding them to display without quarantine.
130 gal would be expensive to treat, should skipping quarantine present issue (s).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode