Safe CO2 level for livestock - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Safe CO2 level for livestock

I am running pressurized CO2 and high light in my tank. Photo period is 2 sets of 3.5 hours each with a 7 hour siesta in the middle.

Livestock includes tetras, rasboras, SAEs and snails. I find that some of the fishes (All SAEs and a few tetras, rasboras) hang around very close to the water surface during the last 1.5 hours of the photo periods. They seem to be deprived of Oxygen. Not all fishes behave this way. Once the air stones kick in right after photo period, all fishes behave normally.

pH drops from 6.8 to 5.9 or 6.0 during the photo period. Not sure what the fully (24 hour) degassed pH is, but the tap water I use for weekly 60% water change is close to a 7.8 pH.

I am fairly confident that the CO2 level in water reaches to >30 ppm levels during CO2 injection (based on pH drop and CO2 reference and indicator bulbs).

My question is, will the fishes suffer any long term damage because of the seemingly high CO2 levels that last for around 1.5 hours during each photo period?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 04:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you run high light and CO2, there is no point in a siesta period. A siesta period is for low tech tanks without CO2. Light drives photosynthesis, which in turn use CO2. If the light is off, CO2 gets replenished, thus having 2 periods is beneficial for those types of aquariums. Your pumping CO2 into your tank so it will be readily available throughout your photo period.

Since you run a full system.. You dont need a siesta. Start your CO2 earlier and make sure the drop checker is green by the time the light comes on. Have the CO2 turn off earlier as well. This is what I do. My CO2 comes on roughly 2 hours before my light and shuts off 2 hours before lights out. By the time my light shuts off, my drop checker is still lime green.

You can also slow down the rate of the CO2. Just decrease the BPS by 1 and see how the fish react.. You may just be pumping more CO2 into the tank than you think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks!

CO2 turns on 45 minutes before the lights start ramping up (they reach peak intensity 30 minutes into the 3.5 hour cycle). CO2 turns off 1 hour before the end of photo period. I am using a Rex Grigg style reactor and it is pretty efficient.

I read conflicting thoughts about having a siesta. Some folks say the siesta helps fight off algae growth. The main reason I have siesta is to enjoy the tank when I am at home and not come home to a dark tank after work.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 04:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_06 View Post
Thanks!

CO2 turns on 45 minutes before the lights start ramping up (they reach peak intensity 30 minutes into the 3.5 hour cycle). CO2 turns off 1 hour before the end of photo period. I am using a Rex Grigg style reactor and it is pretty efficient.

I read conflicting thoughts about having a siesta. Some folks say the siesta helps fight off algae growth. The main reason I have siesta is to enjoy the tank when I am at home and not come home to a dark tank after work.
Just set the time the lights come on so that you can enjoy when your home.

Also, you can dim or raise the lighting if your have algae.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode