Looking for advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking for advice

Just wondering what I could do to better improve my plants. I am running pressurized CO2 using a drop checker to ensure I am within a good ppm range. I dose pps pro, the recommended that they mention for medium lighting, maybe a bit less since I worry about over doing it so its about 2.3ml a day vs 3 recommended. The micro solution is as recommended as well. The light is a finnex fuge ray planted + on a 24 inch tank, so I doubt the par is very high at the bottom, I think I saw a graph where the 36 in model hit ~35 at 18 in. I am running 2 hob filters and 2 hydor wave makers in the 29 gallon tank. I run a 10 hr light cycle with co2 2 hours before light and 2 before shut off. I also use root tabs with osmecote in them every 3 or so months. An air stone runs at night after CO2 is off for oxygenation.

I seem to have some good growth for certain plants and others are struggling. Is light the main problem? I think some of the leaves show signs of nutrient issues but I am not sure what or if its just a matter of providing more macro nutrients. Hoping to start a dutch 40g breeder tank soon with more powerful lights and a better dimension tank so trying to learn as much as possible. I feel like I have a decent grasp of everything, and have read countless threads, just not confident enough on nutrients to experiment on my own with dosing changes.

In the past my parameters have all been good with high-ish nitrate levels. I have not tested phos lately, and water is very hard here in Minnesota. PH is on the higher end without co2. It should be noted that I neglected cleaning it for a few months so ive been doing 35% water changes every 5-7 days for a month or so now but its cleaned itself up a bit now. I have also added the 2nd Hob filter I mentioned.Anything else let me know, thanks a lot for anyone help.

free gif hosting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
The thing with dosing is you need enough plant mass, of the right plants, to uptake the nutrients you're adding. You have mostly lower light, non-demanding plants. Not that they won't benefit from co2 or occasional dosing, but they are still slow growers for the most part. You may have medium intensity light, but as far as your plants are concerned, you have low light, slow growing plants. Dose according to your plant selection and plant mass. Light intensity is kind of an afterthought but still important.

Remove damaged and rotting leaves from your anubias. They are only taking unnecessary energy to die and if you trim the leaf off at the rizome, it can focus that energy on creating a new leaf instead.

The plants you have don't really need the co2. However, any added co2 is beneficial so I wouldn't stop using it. I'd also cut the photoperiod to 8 hours. With the added co2 and nutrients, your plants only have to worry about the light. Less light and they will use the co2 and nutrients as energy to stretch towards the light. The higher the light intensity, the more compact the growth will be (this applies more towards fast growers).

I'd trim off the damaged leaves and add a bunch of stem plants to eat up the nutrients you're adding.

Don't skip water changes when adding nutrients! Without doing water changes, all of the unused nutrients remain in the tank and the concentration only gets higher with the more dosing going on. Plants love water changes. As many as you have time for.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode