Crash Coral in planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Crash Coral in planted tank

I have tried to keep constant kH of 3.0, ph fluctuate 6.5 to 7.2 in my planted tank. For the past 1 years, i couldnt increase this kH any further. Even with sodium bicarbonate added, kH only reach 3.5. It could be the drift wood, which eaten all the kH.
I have heard of suggestion to put crash corals. which can increase kH and caused pH to be stable as well. First of all, is this true?
2ndly, will crash coral cause a CO2 to be eleminated in a chemical reaction between this two? Cos i do not want to increase CO2 to replace those which is 'dissolved' reacted by crash corals.
Pls advise

planted tank, 100% Fluorite and Eheim Pro 2222
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Ususally having a 3dKH level is sufficient to prevent a catastophic pH crash due to excess CO2. Why do you need it higher? If the pH is fluctuating then you need to find the cause of this. Also, if your wood (or anything else in your tank) is affecting your pH then any CO2 readings based on pH/KH will be inaccurate.

Also, are your pH fluctuations occuring during the same time period on different days? I ask because pH level will fluctuate during the day as the plants consume the carbon during photosynthesis, which will cause the pH to rise. At night, as the plant release CO2 back into the water your pH will fall. You also list CO2 injection by DIY generators which can also cause the pH to fluctuate due to inconsistant CO2 production.

Finally, to answer your question, crushed coral can be used to increase KH and GH, but in your particular situation I don't believe it is the solution to your problem.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
a little baking soda works to, if you just want some buffering

Eheim Pimp Club Member #74

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada
Ususally having a 3dKH level is sufficient to prevent a catastophic pH crash due to excess CO2. Why do you need it higher? If the pH is fluctuating then you need to find the cause of this. Also, if your wood (or anything else in your tank) is affecting your pH then any CO2 readings based on pH/KH will be inaccurate.

Also, are your pH fluctuations occuring during the same time period on different days? I ask because pH level will fluctuate during the day as the plants consume the carbon during photosynthesis, which will cause the pH to rise. At night, as the plant release CO2 back into the water your pH will fall. You also list CO2 injection by DIY generators which can also cause the pH to fluctuate due to inconsistant CO2 production.

Finally, to answer your question, crushed coral can be used to increase KH and GH, but in your particular situation I don't believe it is the solution to your problem.
If kH is to be higher, I will probaly get a more stable pH, or at least a smaller range of fluctuation limits.
I usu take those tests when my tank is in daylight operating. I know abt photosysthesis system.
The root cause I would suspect most of the time, is the DIY CO2 that caused the fluctuation. Every 1 or 2 day , i need to regulate the control valve. Its diffucult to have consistent CO2 throughout 1 week o so. Have you heard of DIY Yeast mitures, CO2 generator that burst? Thats why control is a must for DIY.
Im not sure how consistent is CO2 using a pressured tank, with those selonoid and needle valves, i have never try it.
I would treat DIY CO2 as a variable, the strategy here is to keep FIX constant of high 5dkH, in order to maintain pH with a smaller fluctuation limits. I usually, add 1.5 teasp of Bicarbonate of soda, (not sodium bicarbonate i mention earlier, its typo) per 100 litre every weekly water change. I have trying adding more, yet it maintain at 3.5 highest.
However, if i add crash coral in the canister filter to keep high kH, I would have reduce 1 maintainence. Well, adding Bicarbonate of soda 52 times throughout a year, is not an ideal solution either......
Do adivse if this method of maintaining and increasing kH n pH is feasible. If yes, my other concern is CO2 lost, due to chemically react with crash corals. I inject CO2 direct into tank using a reactor. Any chemist here that can relate crash corals and CO2?

planted tank, 100% Fluorite and Eheim Pro 2222
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 07:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to rayhwong
I just added crushed coral sand to my filter because my KH drops one KH over 3 days. In two days the crushed coral bumped it up from 3 to 8KH. Just be careful how much you add!!! Its better to have less than too much. If your pH is fixed and your KH goes up you have catostrophic CO2 levels.

Ray

Eheim Pimp #91
Tank Information: 100 gallon TruVu, white play sand, Eheim 2028pro2 and 2026pro2, 2X96W PC 6700K and 2X55W PC GE 9325K, Pressurized CO2, Eheim autofeeder

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode