Best way to raise kh/gh/ph? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By aubie98

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best way to raise kh/gh/ph?

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about my plants not doing too well and most people suggested that I had either too little CO2 or a calcium deficiency. Since then, I decided to test my kh and gh and found that they are very low. My kh and gh are both under 2 degrees and my ph shifts from 6.0 (the lowest number on APIs test kit) and 6.4. I was thinking about raising all of these by using Baking Soda and seachem gh booster or adding crushed coral to my filter. I think I definitely need to add kh as a ph buffer because my ph swings kind of often. What would you guys recommend doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 08:39 PM
Planted Member

The crushed coral is a good idea. You can also use crushed seashells or cuttlefish bone. I wouldn't use baking soda except for water changes, as it could cause ph swings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 Gallon Bowfront Planted w/ Angelfish, GBR, Rummynose, Corydoras Aeneus albino, Mystery & Nerite snails
2x 5 Gallon planted with betta, Mystery & Nerite Snails
40 Gallon Breeder Planted w/ Blue Tetra
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm guessing you use straight tap water? You could get a RO unit and remineralize the water to the desired gh/kh. That's what I did and it works great, albeit with a little more work and forethought needed.

Barring that you, you could skip the RO step and add the remineralizer to the tap water to get your desired gh/kh, but I wonder whether that's a great idea because your tap may vary with respect to TDS, gh, and kh over time. So you couldn't reliably add the same amount of remineralizer each time. It would be a moving target. with RO water, you're always starting at 0, so once you figure out the amount needed to hit your target, it's the same every time.
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, I just use straight tap water. How much was your RO unit?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Best way to raise kh/gh/ph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajiste View Post
Yes, I just use straight tap water. How much was your RO unit?

This is the one. Just $60. It works great for me. Have had for a few months now and could not be happier. Will work great and last very long without having to change any filters because you have very soft water to begin with. 0PPM Portable 50 GPD Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Filtration POQ-4B-50 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJCE2X4..._WVf9qHkiVZ43v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
advice, deficiency, help planted tank, problem, question

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode