GH absolutely through the roof 1400+ppm! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
GH absolutely through the roof 1400+ppm!

Hey guys I just tested my tank water GH and I have filled the test tube commitment to the top and the color has not changed from yellow to green. I thought it was the petrified wood so I removed it. Right before I did a water change I tested my tap water and it as the same deal.

Ive had some imbalance in my tank fighting with GSA so I've made it a point to figure out what the hell is going on. I don't ever remember my tap water being so high but in any case can someone put me in the right direction? I've got acid buffer and thinking of getting some peat. What do you think? Obligatory tank shot attached.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

55G Planted Ecoxitoc E-120 abd BML 10k LED Co2 Hi-Tech!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

C02 -EI Fertz - Marci/Bosemani Rainbows - - Bolivian Rams - Torpedo Barbs - Harlequin Rasboras - Otocinclus Cats - Murray River Rainbow - Herbietaxelrodi Rainbows - Iran Red Rainbows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 06:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

One drop equals 1 degree of hardness or 17.8ppm. A reading of 1400 equals 78 drop. I doubt that. I don't know of any fish that would survive in 1400 ppm water. how many drops did you add.? Use your test kit to measure the tap water hardness. How many drop do you have to add to tap water to get a color change? Look up your water utility water quality report. What is the GH number listed in the report?

GSA is sometimes caused by low phosphate levels. Get a phosphate test kit and determine what your phosphate levels are.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks! I just checked the test kit, it's expired. I ordered new test kits and will keep you updated.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

55G Planted Ecoxitoc E-120 abd BML 10k LED Co2 Hi-Tech!

C02 -EI Fertz - Marci/Bosemani Rainbows - - Bolivian Rams - Torpedo Barbs - Harlequin Rasboras - Otocinclus Cats - Murray River Rainbow - Herbietaxelrodi Rainbows - Iran Red Rainbows

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode