• 2 Post By slipfinger
  • 4 Post By Seattle_Aquarist
  • 4 Post By roadmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fertilizer Absorption

I just recently read that leafs of aquatic plants are only for absorbing light and co2, then releasing oxygen.

Then the roots absorb all micro nutrients?

So my big Question is Why do so many people dose ferts into the water column instead of using root tabs that have the best chance to get to the roots that absorb the fertilizer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by micahm2002 View Post
I just recently read that leafs of aquatic plants are only for absorbing light and co2, then releasing oxygen.

So my big Question is Why do so many people dose ferts into the water column instead of using root tabs that have the best chance to get to the roots that absorb the fertilizer?
For one, I never believe everything I read.
I'm from Missouri, show me.

Some weeks I double dose EI macros and they are almost totally depleted @ weeks end.
Daily I can observe a TDS decline.
To top it off plants are growing in capped dirt!

Micro dosing for me is once per week with added Fe.

Don't think my substrate is absorbing all the macros.
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
I would also be interested in reading about this. One thing to note though is water(and the nutrients in the water) flow through the water column and into the substrate. So if it is in fact true(which I have my doubts) that plants only take in nutrients through their roots, adding nutrients to the water column would be just fine.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
What about the poor plants that don't have any roots. How will they eat?

As mentioned above, don't believe everything you read. There are a ton of setups with plain sand/gravel and the plants only receive water column ferts and they do fine.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:15 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Not to brag about @burr740, but he and @Greggz are running black diamond blasting sand for a substraight. These substrates have not CEC (they dont absorb / retain nutrients). Now it is possible the macro and micro nutrients filter down into the very top 1/4" to 1/2" of substraight but I doubt all the plants in my tank are only getting nutrients for the top 1/4". The underside of my 75g tank is viewable and I can see some of the root system from the Amazon sword and Melon sword. This is thru 4+ inches of substraight.

So, I guess what I am saying is real world results (burr and gregg) would indicate many (most) aquarium plants absorb nutrients from the water column which would indicate to me it is thru the various leaf structures.
Greggz and Greggz like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Plant Stomata allows for the absorption of gases, liquids, across the leaves as I understand it.
Would seem that dissolved nutrient's would be in the form of liquid that the plants can draw from.
I am in the camp that tries to provide nutrient's from both the substrate and the water column.
Judging from the floating duckweed,anacharis,anubia and bucephalandra I have attached or wedged into wood /rocks, they must be getting their nutrient's from the water for they have no root's in the substrate.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 05:40 PM
Captain

Do aquatic plants have stomata? If so, do they function differently than other plants?

Question on Quora

Answer by Sherry Eichmann
Some aquatic plants have stomata and some do not. Epistomatous a/k/a hyperstomatous (ex. water lily) have stomata only on the top part of the leaf as the underside of the leaf rests on the surface of the water and the rest of the plant is submerged.
Since the plant is submerged in water the plant is not threatened by drought or have to close its stomata during the high heat of the day to conserve water. However, the lily can still exchange gases with the stomata on the top of its leaf and able to perform photosynthesis. Hydrophytes (ex. water ferns) are submerge aquatic plants that do not have stomata. Instead of stomata, the plants surface cells are capable of absorbing water, nutrients, and dissolved gases in the water.
https://plantstomata.wordpress.com/2...quatic-plants/

Actually this is a better read as it applies more directly to this topic
http://mesohydroxero.weebly.com/hydrophytes.html

Wow, I actually learned something today :-)

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:

If this is true, how come my stem plants that I top and replant continue to grow?

By topping I mean cut the ratty looking bottoms with all the roots and toss into the garbage, leaving just a cut stem to replant.
Greggz and Greggz like this.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Quote:

Hi micahm2002,

Welcome to TPT!

Just because it is in Wikipedia does not mean it is fact. If what Wikipedia said is true then how species such at Ceratophyllum absorb nutrients to grow? Many plants in gardens benefit from foliar feeding (also in Wikipedia BTW) and it has been done by gardeners for years. Plants are very, very adaptive and have learned to survive in many environments, sometimes without roots.

That said, I believe that plants are opportunistic and absorb nutrients through the most efficient methods they can depending on the species and the nutrient. For example, I see on the forums the classifications of "root feeders" and "leaf/foliar feeders" and although some species may be better adapted to absorb nutrients one way or the other (typically determined by the thickness of the cuticle layer of the leaves) most species will take advantage of nutrients wherever they can find them.
Greggz, Greggz, slipfinger and 1 others like this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Not to brag about @burr740, but he and @Greggz are running black diamond blasting sand for a substraight. These substrates have not CEC (they dont absorb / retain nutrients). Now it is possible the macro and micro nutrients filter down into the very top 1/4" to 1/2" of substraight but I doubt all the plants in my tank are only getting nutrients for the top 1/4". The underside of my 75g tank is viewable and I can see some of the root system from the Amazon sword and Melon sword. This is thru 4+ inches of substraight.

So, I guess what I am saying is real world results (burr and gregg) would indicate many (most) aquarium plants absorb nutrients from the water column which would indicate to me it is thru the various leaf structures.
Why do you think its only the top 1/4"-1/2"? What makes it down to the bottom of the substrate why not the nutrients? Not being critical just wondering. Thanks in advance.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Me thinks with substrates like sand and or the black diamond most everything remains on top of the sand, which might otherwise drift down through fine gravel,or rounded substrates like aqua soil to the lower region's in addition to the nutrient content they might have from the outset.
Root tabs are best for rooted plants in sand, where they might not have ready access to dissolved matter that they might be able to turn into food's.(remains on top )
With that said however ,I believe over time (month's) that some dissolved matter will make it's way to the lower regions of any substrate but would still hedge my bet with root tab's .
Seldom see tanks/substrates that are left to mature before they are torn down for whatever reason's. IMHO
Should also mention that I have grown lot's of sword plant's and crypt's in just sand with root tabs and no water column dosing and thought they looked good, and noticed even better performance once I adopted routine water column dosing also.

Last edited by roadmaster; 08-24-2017 at 04:24 PM. Reason: addition

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode