Measuring kh - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Measuring kh

If i use tap water exclusively should I just test my tap waters kh so I dont get any false readings? Or should I use my aquarium water? I'm trying to find a max safe co2 for my aquarium via kh/ph/co2 chart and going from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slythy View Post
If i use tap water exclusively should I just test my tap waters kh so I dont get any false readings? Or should I use my aquarium water? I'm trying to find a max safe co2 for my aquarium via kh/ph/co2 chart and going from there.
If you are using the chart you test the KH from the aquarium. We assume your tap and aquarium KH should be similar but just measure the tank.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Does Kh change with drift wood and substrate?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

From your aquariums degassed ph, a drop of one whole ph point should be about right for co2 levels. I always test my tap and my tank, this eliminates overlooked variables.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slythy View Post
Does Kh change with drift wood and substrate?
Yes they can, not always though. Driftwood releases what are known as tannins. One form is tannic acid. Almost any acid will lower KH. However tannic acid is a weak acid and the amount your driftwood releases will have a very minimal effect assuming its not a huge part of your tank. Also over time I would suspect the diffusion rate will slow as your driftwood is not an infinite source of tannins.

Active substrates like aquasoil or controsoil are actually designed to remove K (usually they are used in conjunction with RO water which doesn't have any KH to start with). As a side effect GH is often also lowered with these but at what I suspect is a much slower rate. If you are just using dirt or eco-complete or something with sand or gravel it should not effect your water parameters in any significant way.

As an aside, some rocks can also effect KH.

Bump: Are you trying to adjust your KH before you add CO2 to attain what you think are good levels? I can provide some insight to this stuff if you would like, but keep in mind changing your KH will change your PH and a low kh of around 2 and lower leads to a very unstable PH.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ignore the pH/KH/CO2 relationship. It's only accurate under a very strict set of circumstances that are never found in an aquarium.
If you're not using an automated CO2 injection system based on pH, ignore pH/KH completely (with respect to CO2 injection).

If you want more CO2, add more.

Feel free to edit.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode